I will just leave this here

Yep, I think the 1000 series was in about 1998 and the Silver series was in about 2002. Then they made the stainless steel platinum Genesis in 2004-2005 with the stainless steel frame.

Come again? After the 1000-5000 series ended, wasn't the next series the Silver/Gold/Platinum line?

Yes, in 2000 the Silver and Gold were introduced. I have a 98 Platinum 2000 which had minor trim upgrades but otherwise is identical to a Genesis 2000..

My point is in some years the Genesis Platinum and / or the the Genesis Gold are different from the Genesis Silver B/C besides just trim, cabinets and side tables.

A 2000 Silver B/C has a different cook box than Gold or Platinum B/C. In 2002 the Gold B changed to use the same cook box, burners and flav bars as the Silver B/C. I'm not sure about the Platinum.

I guess my point is to not assume that the parts inside are in common across models or across years even if they look to be close.

Thanks guys. Seems Weber didn't have the models planned out in advance but, rather, was figuring it out as they went. The result is confusing but you've helped me to understand that discerning models is not linear or simple.

Roy,
I think they first added the Platinum as a simple way to create another grill with minimal cost, kind of like Chevrolet first started the Impala and later the Caprice as a trim option. The ~2000 ones were a clear jump from the Genesis line, sharing the 1st generation Summit frame and unique handle and end caps. I believe the Platinum name went away for a couple years but returned with the 2004-5 stainless frame version many of us here really like.

So I would say that Weber modified their plan as time unfolded.

Roy,
I think they first added the Platinum as a simple way to create another grill with minimal cost, kind of like Chevrolet first started the Impala and later the Caprice as a trim option. The ~2000 ones were a clear jump from the Genesis line, sharing the 1st generation Summit frame and unique handle and end caps. I believe the Platinum name went away for a couple years but returned with the 2004-5 stainless frame version many of us here really like.

So I would say that Weber modified their plan as time unfolded.
Thanks Jon. So the 2000 Platinum had a 1000 box and a stainless frame? If so, that sounds like the holy grail . . . I mean grill.

Yes it is ugly. But I believe these Broil King grills were built pretty well and have cast aluminum fire boxes.
View attachment 46065
Lowes carried those. I took a close look at one...may have been that same model. They got a lot right. The pvc base for one. I think BK would do well to simplify what seems like a solid design.Also, I kind of recall the grates and flame tamers seemed a bit tinny and lightweight. But I'm sure with a little love and some creativity, that can be a rock solid grill.

Last edited:
Thanks Jon. So the 2000 Platinum had a 1000 box and a stainless frame? If so, that sounds like the holy grail . . . I mean grill.
Roy, Bruce is right. The 2000 Platinum had the heavy duty regular steel frame with wide legs the same as the 1st generation Summit had.

PLATINUM GENESIS

SUMMIT

Back