I will just leave this here

Black knobs and side handles are tough to come by in their native form. However, you can dye them.

I thought I posted some video of the process but cannot find it. I did a full demo at the Midwest grill meet last summer but have been unable to get ahold of the video footage that was taken of it. I dyed probably 30 or so knobs a dozen end table handles and 7 or lid handles at the Midwest grill meet. It actually dyes the plastic and sinks in so that if the plastic gets scratched, it does not reveal the gray underneath it.

And then there’s this.

Attachments

• 4A70550B-B1C9-4478-A32A-82789F2E705C.jpeg
    4A70550B-B1C9-4478-A32A-82789F2E705C.jpeg
    105.4 KB · Views: 16
  • B6BBBD13-3FCF-4A98-BC3F-770426180C93.jpeg
    B6BBBD13-3FCF-4A98-BC3F-770426180C93.jpeg
    239.2 KB · Views: 16
Black knobs and side handles are tough to come by in their native form. However, you can dye them.

I thought I posted some video of the process but cannot find it. I did a full demo at the Midwest grill meet last summer but have been unable to get ahold of the video footage that was taken of it. I dyed probably 30 or so knobs a dozen end table handles and 7 or lid handles at the Midwest grill meet. It actually dyes the plastic and sinks in so that if the plastic gets scratched, it does not reveal the gray underneath it.
Man, I'd really like to see that. Is it a lot of work?

The smoker box is as good as any other that you can use on a gas grill. It’s a GAS GRILL, not a smoker. It does provide some smoke, works ok for low temp smoking for cheese or fish. “Steam n’ Chips”? Seriously you actually soak your smoking wood?
Bill,
Larry hates those boxes, and he has some good reasons. I still don't see why they wouldn't at least do close to what one place just a few inches lower would do (excepting food directly or nearly directly over a smoke source which is obviously not a good idea). What I like about the Steam n' Chips is that you can add/replace chips as you are cooking. The 1st generation Weber Summit accomplished this, without giving up grill space, by having a grate with a section on hinges opened to access the smoker box. I am generally OK with losing a little space for the convenience.

As to the "steam" part, there is a separate section you can fill with water that is supposed to help make moist smoke, presumably helping something like chicken not dry out as readily. I have never had opportunity to try one, although I have one in a box.

One of Larry's other concerns I have seen him post in the past is also very true. You can make a mess out of the bottom of your grill with ashes using this box. My idea would be to use the foil-wrapped chips rather than dumping them in the box. But the nice thing is that on a longer cook, you can then easily remove and replace with a new pouch as your first one is consumed. No need to remove any grates.

Don't forget! If you own any Skyline grill and are active on this board, you are automatically enrolled as a member of the exclusive SKYLINE CLUB!

Skyline Club logo.jpg

We have had a number of really nice Skylines posted over the past few years. You saw the beauty Bruce did.

Here is one done by @Rich Dahl:

SKYLINE - Rich Dahl.jpg

Here's both a 3-burner and a 2-burner by @TonyS T-Bone:

SKYLINES - Tony T Bone.jpg

My best restore, but sadly sold when I moved from Florida:

IMG_0382.jpg

I am currently downsized to this very practical but still nice 2-bruner:

Skyline 2 burner JON.jpeg

LOL. I've never seen one before.

Run from it?
Run, don't walk and get it now?
Vermont Castings are okay. They are not good candidates for restoration in my opinion. All porcelain enamel iron. They are very heavy. Same company makes wood stoves.

I would pass on that one.

My idea would be to use the foil-wrapped chips rather than dumping them in the box
So what is the point of that big hulking box taking up usable space and STILL using foil wrapped chips? The boxes don't work because the smoke is off to the left and literally goes away before it hits food. It was and is a gimmick because if it was so great why doesn't Weber still sell one to eek out yet even more profit on the grills?

Yes run don't walk AWAY from it. Although they were the darling of Consumer Reports for a bit.

Vermont Castings are okay. They are not good candidates for restoration in my opinion. All porcelain enamel iron. They are very heavy. Same company makes wood stoves.

I would pass on that one.
I was gifted a new one years ago. Yes they are heavy. Mine worked fine until burners starting decaying. Found out Vermont Castings no longer makes grills, and does not support them. They sold all parts to a third party company that does not have parts that I need, so it's sitting in my back yard until I figure out what Amazon burners will fit.
The VC failure is what started my Weberitis. I was going to buy one of those big Webers at Costco, but found one on the side of the road and haven't looked back.

So what is the point of that big hulking box taking up usable space and STILL using foil wrapped chips? The boxes don't work because the smoke is off to the left and literally goes away before it hits food. It was and is a gimmick because if it was so great why doesn't Weber still sell one to eek out yet even more profit on the grills?

Yes run don't walk AWAY from it. Although they were the darling of Consumer Reports for a bit.
I put my box on the flavor bars below the meat, seems to work fine. Not as good as a dedicated smoker, but still have had great results with it

I put my box on the flavor bars below the meat, seems to work fine. Not as good as a dedicated smoker, but still have had great results with it
You will have to post a photo. Because the proper way (directions) is it goes on the far left side and the outlet is even with the grates. Both my parents and I had one. I threw mine away, I think my parent's one is still in the garage on a shelf pretty much like new. It was a cool idea that was poorly designed and executed. The one that came in the 1st gen Summit was FAR better

You will have to post a photo. Because the proper way (directions) is it goes on the far left side and the outlet is even with the grates. Both my parents and I had one. I threw mine away, I think my parent's one is still in the garage on a shelf pretty much like new. It was a cool idea that was poorly designed and executed. The one that came in the 1st gen Summit was FAR better
Im talking about this box, is this the one you use too? https://www.bbqguys.com/weber/7576-...atzgA-j2qLW_89zC4QlOdF0T6V9YLjEwaAlkiEALw_wcB

Back