I will just leave this here

Cool. I'm going to restore one of those when I find the right one, probably not til spring sometime. That one looks decent. The drip tray is probably rotted out, he's got it lined with foil.
Yeah, and he's asking $100. I'm just going to watch it. But even if he gets down to zero, it's probably not worth my time given that it's a two hour drive. It wouldn't be for me. Perhaps a rehab for a friend or neighbor.

Yah, those are fairly rare birds these days. Other than the right side condiment basket and the lid, there is little else to differentiate them from any other late 90's Genesis 1xxx grill.
There is one near my sister's house for sale. The guy didn't even pull the cover off and show the lid. But it has the condiment basket. If he showed the lid, it would be sold by now. I think it is $50. It has been for sale for over a month. I keep resisting making a low ball offer and having my sister go pick it up. She has to basically take them apart to get them into her CRV.

244394540_6264189416989249_763704130492236708_n.jpg

Yeah, and he's asking $100. I'm just going to watch it. But even if he gets down to zero, it's probably not worth my time given that it's a two hour drive. It wouldn't be for me. Perhaps a rehab for a friend or neighbor.
I'd probably be out on the two hour drive. The last one of those I found, the guy wanted $200 for it and wouldn't come down. I might have gone to $100 only because I really want one.

Yah, those are fairly rare birds these days. Other than the right side condiment basket and the lid, there is little else to differentiate them from any other late 90's Genesis 1xxx grill.
There is one near my sister's house for sale. The guy didn't even pull the cover off and show the lid. But it has the condiment basket. If he showed the lid, it would be sold by now. I think it is $50. It has been for sale for over a month. I keep resisting making a low ball offer and having my sister go pick it up. She has to basically take them apart to get them into her CRV.

View attachment 45877
Bruce, I would love to see you restore that grill!

I'd probably be out on the two hour drive. The last one of those I found, the guy wanted $200 for it and wouldn't come down. I might have gone to $100 only because I really want one.
Yeah, everyone has preferences. I paid $200 to ship a lid cross country. I like the Skyline but I don't see myself having more than two grills and that one wouldn't make the cut over either of the two I have now (or after my buddy finishes combining the other two and carts it off). Restoring them takes a lot of time and energy. So I'll resist this one's charms. Just another example of keeping myself on a leash.

I have had her pick up several grills for me. She is 60+ years old and weighs about 130. She is a trooper and for some reason seems to really enjoy feeding my addiction. She has even scored a Skyline for me in the past.

I have a skyline lid on my current 2005 SS PLatinum deep box grill. The rest of the grill that the lid came from was a total wreck. But I got it for $20. I think I still have a rehabable Skyline in my back yard. The one thing about them is that either the condiment basket is missing or the lids have some of that bad Weber fade. I have found that most buyers are less into the Skyline part of it than just the grill overall.

Here is a before and after of one I did in 2018. I listed it and got $400 for it with the roto and everything. They guy was uninterested in the Skyline. He was taking it to his hunting cabin in Minnesota. If you will notice, I added the black Silver B knobs and side handles

20181011 Skyline - Before & After (1).jpg

20181011 Weber Genesis 1000 Skyline - After (1).JPG20181011 Weber Genesis 1000 Skyline - After (6).JPG20181011 Weber Genesis 1000 Skyline - After (8).JPG

20181011 Weber Genesis 1000 Skyline - After (2).JPG

Tom, that is one I haven't seen before. I don't know if you would call a coffin or a crematorium.

I have had her pick up several grills for me. She is 60+ years old and weighs about 130. She is a trooper and for some reason seems to really enjoy feeding my addiction. She has even scored a Skyline for me in the past.

I have a skyline lid on my current 2005 SS PLatinum deep box grill. The rest of the grill that the lid came from was a total wreck. But I got it for $20. I think I still have a rehabable Skyline in my back yard. The one thing about them is that either the condiment basket is missing or the lids have some of that bad Weber fade. I have found that most buyers are less into the Skyline part of it than just the grill overall.

Here is a before and after of one I did in 2018. I listed it and got $400 for it with the roto and everything. They guy was uninterested in the Skyline. He was taking it to his hunting cabin in Minnesota. If you will notice, I added the black Silver B knobs and side handles

View attachment 45884

View attachment 45885View attachment 45887View attachment 45888

View attachment 45886
Yeah, that's about what I would expect from you....nicer than when it was new!

Bruce, I hope you have at least given your sister a "Bruce" Genesis for her efforts!

Also, wow that is a nice restore. From the spotless cookbox interior to yes, the black on black on black. A really nice one. $400 is a bargain for a grill like that.

Not that I would ever pay that much for one, but that's just because I'm sick with the itis. Maybe I should, but I have never seen a rehabbed Genesis for sale near me, except for that one time a Silver B was posted. But it was my posting, after I had the 2000 up and running.

@Bruce what are the lowest cost grates you'll use for your flips on Silvers and x000s ? Do you find better grates net a better price?

I didn't find any year-end closeouts, and I'm trying to minimize cost that I'm putting into this.

It will be going into a 13 bar Genesis 2 if that matters.

Dan, I too found zippo for end of season deals online or local on grates. Last fall was grate. Stanbroil had a lot of Weber stuff on sale on Amazon as well as a couple other resellers.
I use the standard 7MM Solid rod stainless grates on my rehabs. Amazon has a lot of aftermarket suppliers and I try to stay under $40 for a set. Some sets are better than others, but as long as they are stainless, solid rod grates in 7mm, they are good for flips. I will spend a few more dollars on brands that I feel are better than others, but not a lot more.

If you search for Weber 7527 on Amazon, it should give you several good sources.

Jon did a grill grate comparison a couple years ago, you should check that out.

Also, check this thread out. However, I think it has not been updated in quite a while.

View attachment 45884

View attachment 45885View attachment 45887View attachment 45888

View attachment 45886
Beautiful. I love the black knobs and trim. Nice touch on that grill in particular.

Where do you get black knobs?

Back