I will just leave this here

I worked at a power plant construction site for a few years and that was my crash course in stainless steel. Learned everything from 409 to 304 and 316. And it only goes up from there into nickel alloys. Chromium and Nickel content make all the difference. Sadly I'm just an engineer and not a welder so I can't fab anything. But, I'll take a stainless part over coated steel any day, regardless of the coating. I can't believe Weber even sells the porcelain coated crap at all.

For us, we'd just see the bottom tray as a ticking time bomb on those enclosed Genesis models. Right now, have a Spirit 700 that I can at least stay on top of frame only rust, that's easy at least. (And as i've promised, a Genesis 3000 restore post is coming).

Chris, the porcelain coated lids on these older grills are awesome. Many of the 25 to 35 year old ones shine up like new. I actually have thrown out several of the SS lids because they are just a PIA to clean up and restore compared to the colored porcelain lids. I am sure it would help a lot if they used the 304 or 316 SS, but they don't.
The place that SS would really help is the cabinets on these grills.

Chris, the porcelain coated lids on these older grills are awesome. Many of the 25 to 35 year old ones shine up like new. I actually have thrown out several of the SS lids because they are just a PIA to clean up and restore compared to the colored porcelain lids. I am sure it would help a lot if they used the 304 or 316 SS, but they don't.
The place that SS would really help is the cabinets on these grills.
Yes, you are totally right on the lids and your 0000 steel wool process worked great btw, I meant the cheap flavorizer bars they have with that gray coating on them. Should have been more specific!

They have square tube legs so if you learned how to fix the old silver and x000 series frames you can apply those skills to the 300 series frames.
The fireboxes can be a pain. Some use blind holes for the manifold connector bolts.
Less exposed painted surfaces so the cosmetic work mostly cleaning.
My guess is the cabinet is more appealing for decks and outdoor living spaces. Women gravitate to cabinets in my experience.
And the grill is big and big is better for lots of people

Yeah, you generally don't see these old Platinums - especially in blue - being sold on the cheap. You have to really want one to pay the typical asking price.

You also have to have plenty of room. Those things are WIDE.

"Could use a wipe down and hosed out from sitting. $50 in Cameron MO"
Wonder if the dog peed on it?
$50 is a steal!

Well, that blue platinum i linked earlier today is marked as sold. Didn't take long. Maybe $150 was a fair price. I agree with Bruce that it's expensive, No money in it to flip, but as a new daily for someone, have at it. I should have went for it but stuck here screwing around with a wood slat OG genesis 3000.

Back