I will just leave this here

Grilling Can Make You Smart!

Weber must have been thinking about guys like me who could use some help when they made this genius series..

Yep, definitely a Weber Genesis Silver B knockoff by Faberware.

t0sG1c6.jpg

Here is one I haven't seen before. That sure is a lot of SS. Looks like a quality grill from the pictures.

Here is one I haven't seen before. That sure is a lot of SS. Looks like a quality grill from the pictures.
That’s a Crown Verity, they are tanks! I’m in the Coast Guard and we had one on the fantail of my first cutter. 6 months out of the year out at sea and the other 6 tied to the pier and never had any rust or corrosion. Costs a ok pretty penny though.

Some of you may remember that I restored a Crown Verity for the kitchen of the small college affiliated with the community I managed in Florida. The seller dumped it for $100 as I remember because he complained to the manufacturer about rust on the hood. They sent him a whole new grill! The "rust" - typical salt air corrosion - came off with some white Vinegar!

These are really rugged, 304 stainless grills. My only major expenditures were to replace the burners and get an axle which, although stainless, had cracked in two. Crown Verity even gave me a "non-profit" discount! The burners are pricey because the heat shields are welded into them as one assembly.

These grills use an interesting grease/flare up management system. You fill a huge pan underneath with water. They also have a horizontal "pilot" burner that you use a lighter to start and which then provides a flame for the other burners. Very solid overall, but very much commercial with no frills. That's why I thought it was a perfect fit for the college kitchen.

John Beardsley grilling on Crown Verity.jpgCrown Verity Exterior AFTER.jpeg

Crown Verity Grate & Inside.jpeg

awesome job there Jon. Sounds like you had gotten a great deal on it too. I like simple, no frills, yet functional and well built.

This is an interesting grill in this price range. It looks like almost 100% SS but not sure. The description doesn't mention if the cabinet lid and shelves are stainless, but they look it. It does have some good looking grates too. I have never seen one in a Home Depot store. Has anyone else?

This is an interesting grill in this price range. It looks like almost 100% SS but not sure. The description doesn't mention if the cabinet lid and shelves are stainless, but they look it. It does have some good looking grates too. I have never seen one in a Home Depot store. Has anyone else?

I have never seen one and I do a walk through of the grill department whenever I go. I see a lot of complaints of the stainless rusting. One guy had the wheel rust off after 2 years. Weber sold me on the cast aluminum fire box. I doubt I would every buy one that did not have it.

The Crown is 100% stainless 304 or better grade. The only SLIGHT advantage to cast aluminum is it's a little better at holding and releasing heat a little more evenly but VERY LITTLE so little in fact is I honestly don't see it as any difference when I compare cooking on my Wolf to cooking on my Genesis. Bottom line....................if I have my choice.............I will go with high end stainless every time. Easier to clean, no corrosion issues, no issues at all really

Yep, the 100% stainless has a lot of advantages, although to me style isn't one of them. That Crown is especially bland and commercial looking. I would personally rather have a grill with some color and design flare to go along with the stainless body.

Also, I had opportunity to cook on that Crown after it was rebuilt. Yes, it has plenty of power and a big grilling space. But, honestly, it was not one of the most enjoyable grills I have ever used. Probably given time I would get a better handle on how it cooks, but I still think how well a grill cooks is more than just the quality of materials. I would be willing to bet that a Genesis II cooks a lot better (admittedly not as big) than that Crown. But the the Crown Verity will be cooking for many more years after the Genesis II winds up in the scrap pile.

The crown is a $3000 grill. So I back my statement of never buying a SS grill;). Grills material is analogous to leather sofas. Most manufacturers claim 100% leather or real leather but only put genuine leather in spots that hit your body if at all. Between cushions, the backs, sides, etc will be inferior bonded leather, leather match, or other "fake leather" that is nothing other than fake leather and those parts will fail and peel. With most consumer grade grills there will be inferior grades of SS, or other just regular metal, and the grill is only as good as the weakest link. As in the 3-embers there are pictures of stainless burners and tents falling apart after a few years, wheels falling off as the cabinet rusted out.

Yah, A couple of people here have rehabbed those with good results. Supposed to be top notch cookers too.

I guess this seller felt that a little spit shine on the control panel was enough to justify a price close to fully restored:

Back