I will just leave this here

Grab it if it is a good price. The black knobs are hard to come by. But, make sure you check the cabinet. It probably has a bunch of rust.

Branden,
The somewhat elusive stainless Genesis Platinum is a great grill with one glaring fault. The hood and the entire frame are stainless steel. They are not painted and seem to all be 304 stainless. The firebox is still classic cast aluminum. The tables are a thermoplastic light gray with stainless inserts and the control panel is also stock Weber porcelain coated steel but with gray rather than black background. So far, so good. Where things come up short is the lower cabinetry. It is all cheap painted steel (light gray) other than the front opening doors. The rusty “frame” you are seeing is actually the bottom (painted steel) that has bends in it to shape it like a frame piece for structural support. All these pieces inevitably rust out.

It is kind of sad that this grill came so close to perfect when it’s sibling the Summit Platinum of the same two years had all stainless cabinetry along with the frame and hood. But, the Summit came up short, too. Instead of an all aluminum firebox like the Genesis it has a firebox with porcelain plated steel front and back. This site is full of bad luck stories about that poor design.

The Genesis Platinum is a GREAT grill. You can get rid of the bottom and replace it with horizontal stainless tubes cut to fit like I did. Some here have also converted to an open cart setup. Those steps eliminate almost all your problems.

Branden,
The somewhat elusive stainless Genesis Platinum is a great grill with one glaring fault. The hood and the entire frame are stainless steel. They are not painted and seem to all be 304 stainless. The firebox is still classic cast aluminum. The tables are a thermoplastic light gray with stainless inserts and the control panel is also stock Weber porcelain coated steel but with gray rather than black background. So far, so good. Where things come up short is the lower cabinetry. It is all cheap painted steel (light gray) other than the front opening doors. The rusty “frame” you are seeing is actually the bottom (painted steel) that has bends in it to shape it like a frame piece for structural support. All these pieces inevitably rust out.

It is kind of sad that this grill came so close to perfect when it’s sibling the Summit Platinum of the same two years had all stainless cabinetry along with the frame and hood. But, the Summit came up short, too. Instead of an all aluminum firebox like the Genesis it has a firebox with porcelain plated steel front and back. This site is full of bad luck stories about that poor design.

The Genesis Platinum is a GREAT grill. You can get rid of the bottom and replace it with horizontal stainless tubes cut to fit like I did. Some here have also converted to an open cart setup. Those steps eliminate almost all your problems.

Thanks for that great reply Jon. I’ll keep my eyes open. I like the open cart concept and would definitely go that route.

Nope, pass. I never pay more than $50 for a grill unless it is super special. Even if you really wanted a grill like that one, the frame is a deal breaker.

I just brought home a free Genesis Silver. Original owner bought it new in 2000. It looks in decent shape. Then I open it. Cook box is toast. The frame and everything else is good for parts I believe. Black hood with Weber fade. I couldn’t pass it up. Free and 6 miles from the house.

I call that a win. Sounds like the only thing you need is a cook box. What is wrong with the cook box though? Why do you say it is toast?

I just brought home a free Genesis Silver. Original owner bought it new in 2000. It looks in decent shape. Then I open it. Cook box is toast. The frame and everything else is good for parts I believe. Black hood with Weber fade. I couldn’t pass it up. Free and 6 miles from the house.
Silver A, B, or C? The A is a 2-burner and smaller cookbox.

Just found this brochure. Looks like I got a Genesis Silver B.

1. Genesis Silver A = 2 burners and left side table, no swing up table and smaller cook box.
  2. Genesis Silver B = 3 burners, left side table and swing up side table.
  3. Genesis Silver C = 3 burners, left side table, swing up side table and side burner

Branden: I believe some Genesis Silver C grills came with and extra right side table in place of the extra burner as well.

Back