I will just leave this here

There are no bottom legs across front and back. The regular steel cabinet floor pan serves as the legs. However, the cabinet sides and floor pan are almost always a rusty mess like this SS Platinum: 20190519 Genesis Platinum B (3).JPG

Or this one:

20190901_162014.jpg

The other legs are SS. Here is what is can look like after you rehab it::

20190731 Stainless Steel Platinum (1).JPG

Bruce, am I remembering correctly that you sold the redhead platinum? If not, I was wondering what your opinion was about cooking on the 13 bar vs. 5 bar grills.

Bruce, am I remembering correctly that you sold the redhead platinum? If not, I was wondering what your opinion was about cooking on the 13 bar vs. 5 bar grills.
I really like them. Better than the 5 bar Genesis Silver B. The double row of flavor bars and deeper fire box will give you a much better heat distribution. You can always pull the top row out if you want and run it like a Silver B. The deep fire box is also great for a rotisserie. You have much more clearance to the flavorizer bars after you take the top row out. It lets you easily spin a 15 lb turkey with a drip pan under it, whereas you are likely to have problems with that on a silver B unless you take the all the flavorizer bars out.

In general, they are both great cooking systems, but I do think the older deep 13 bar fire boxes clearly do have an advantage.

And yes, I did sell the Redhead platinum. But, I have another one out back that is going to be a keeper when I finish it up.

Good looking Genesis 5000 in Twin Cities for $100

Damit Bruce, grab that!

EDIT:
Even if you don't want it, you know John needs it for the museum. They don't come up often, don't let it run away.

Another EDIT:
After a second look it's surprisingly clean and complete. That isn't the normal for one of those.

Last edited:
I am already down a couple other rabbit holes. I have grills along the driveway, along the house, all around my shed, in the sheds. The wife hasn't said anything, but I can feel the stares.

Larry, my DD is going to be my SS Platinum when I finally get to it. I just don't want the bulk and weight of the 5000 and I just don't have room or time to drive up and grab it, much less rehab it.

They are classics Ed. Think of that old 33rpm record player you had back in the 80's in the living room.

A well restored 5000 could easily net a $500 price tag. I think they were only made for a few years...maybe even less. And there were not that many sold. So, the collectors love them.

Oh, don't get me wrong, that is the Holy Grail for me as far as the early Gennies go...that, and a blue lid, and I'd be grinnin' like a mule eatin' briars.

While I have you here...in the next generation of lids, when Weber went to the more rounded front and the thermometer in the center, did they ever offer those lids in a color other than black? I have never seen one in the short time I've been looking.

Yah, I have a BLUE one in my garage. It came off a 2004-2005 Genesis. They came in green and probably other colors too.

Oh, I have one of those lids same color as the one on the at Genesis 5000 as well.

Oh, great, Bruce...I wanted you to tell me no. I've never seen any color other than black.

EDIT: Just call me "GREEN in California". You guys got all the best grills.

Back