I will just leave this here

Well here is another really classic gas grill from 1967. I guess back then, Charmglow was a Made in USA grill company. It certainly has a beautiful antique look to it if nothing else:

Jon, that is a pretty fancy one, but I think one similar is what my dad had on the back deck of our house that I grew up in. It was a stationairy NG model and it lasted many years. He did buy every gimick for it too. Ceramic Heat plates, ceramic heat coals, Lava rocks and who knows what else?

Take a look at this, it’s a mystery. The frame looks impeccable, the side caps look amazing, but the drip tray is gone and the side table is replaced with stainless. Inside only half the flavour bars are there, and there are mismatched rusty grills.

What the hell is going on?

Attachments

• 5494FD31-4567-46DA-AB31-BC477E6B9EA5.jpeg
    5494FD31-4567-46DA-AB31-BC477E6B9EA5.jpeg
    123.1 KB · Views: 36
That is a nice grill. My guess is that he will wind up letting it go for $50. The frame still looks intact, which is what matters.

Yah, but that is very typical of those grills. The entire cabinet will rust away and fall off around the Stainless frame. Just dump the cabinet pieces and fab in a couple SS cross members and then find a steel wire rack bottom or fab in a wood slat floor. Maybe even wood slat sides to replace the cabinet. Rust problem solved.

Jon, it looks to me like someone painted them. I figure some paint thinner and maybe some scrubbing with #0000 steel wool will clean them up well. You saw what those side tables looked like on my green platinum. I have seen some wonderful rehabs on those things.
Sometimes I like to see grills like that. As long as it isn't permanent, it drives the price down a lot.....painted lids are one example. Sometimes it makes for a cheap pickup.

Jon, that cabinet floor has no hole for the propane tank, but the sticker clearly shows it was and LP grill all it's life. That floor has to be a replacement. It almost looks like a piece was welded in to the bottom.

Jon, that cabinet floor has no hole for the propane tank, but the sticker clearly shows it was and LP grill all it's life. That floor has to be a replacement. It almost looks like a piece was welded in to the bottom.

I think he did something along those lines and spray painted to mask the rust damage. Notice the legs and the extra metal strips on either side of the bottom he added. I have nothing against patch repairs, but I feel the seller implies everything is great while covering up some serious issues with paint.

Looks like somebody got a new welder for Father's Day. Lots of porosity there...musta forgot to turn on the gas, or maybe he tried welding over paint.

Like I've always said, though...if I was a better welder I wouldn't have to be a good painter.

A grinder is a welder's best friend.
I don't criticize anyone elses welds. My motto is, if it holds, it is a good weld.

Back