I think I need a 22” WSM

Tye R.

TVWBB Fan
Love my 18” WSM, but I’m thinking it’s time to add the larger bullet to the collection. I find when I do pork butts my married daughters all want me to smoke them one as well. It’s not uncommon to have 4 butts on at the same time. It would be nice to have the extra space for briskets and whole racks of ribs too. Those who have experience with both - anything I should be aware of? With the snake method (to save a bit of fuel) in the 22” can I get 6-8 hours of cooking time?

If you’re doing that kind of cooking yes I would get one you might burn more fuel it is a larger cooker fire basket is bigger and you will need the extra fuel for those long cooks I will run mine overnight and it’ll cook for 8 to 10 hours without adding any charcoal at all 😎

The 22 definitely has capacity for larger crowds. The 22 does need more fuel. I wouldn’t necessarily trade one for the other. But adding the 22 to the stable isn’t a bad thing.
However, Bob has a very good point, the SILs need to start pulling their weight.

I had both sizes. The 22 is nice for when you need the extra space or for brisket and ribs, but is a real hog on fuel. I am with Jeff KBB is good for about 9 hours. It is easy to add more fuel though since the water pan sits up high. Keep the 18 when the extra space isn’t needed.

I can get my 22" WSM to run 10 to 12 hours using the minion/doughnut method (depends on the weather). I've done this with KF Briqs and/or lump. Either one works. I've put as many as 6 pork butts at a time in the 22"

Could probably do 3 butts on the lower rack and 1 ea 17 lb packer brisket on the top rack with no issues.

Yes you do! You will love all that extra room when you need it. I even use a Cajun bandit rotisserie on mine. Pretty sweet. If you don't have any other plans I suggest making the triangle rolling platform for it if it will be moving around. Mine goes in and out of the garage and it's oh so nice to have.

Good idea Dan. I’m fighting to get them away from propane grilling. Two have at least converted to pellet grills, those are the ones I have the most hope for 👍🏼😊

As a charcoal snob, I'd actually be more worried about pellet poopers than propane. Gas still takes some skill but a pellet grill - from what I understand - cooks, serves, and then cleans itself. :)

Joking aside, yeah encourage them to go with whatever they're most interested in. They can make some sides on theirs with you doing the mains.

I have always used a 22. I have gotten 6 smaller butts in there with no problem. Today I had two large butts on top and two average on the bottom -- the bottom could have fit one more. Snaking the coal may get you the 8 or 10 hours guys are advertising. I generally put hot coals in the middle of a ring of cold coals and let it go, and it lasts me 5.5 to 6 hours -- so yes, I am adding fuel. (I am also adding water about halfway through a long cook.) Not as efficient, but this works for me.

I an fighting the urge to splurge on a 22”WSM that I saw on a local Craigslist for $100.
I keep telling myself “I don’t need it”.
The longer this goes I know what will happen...

I an fighting the urge to splurge on a 22”WSM that I saw on a local Craigslist for $100.
I keep telling myself “I don’t need it”.
The longer this goes I know what will happen...
Are you sure it didn't sell?

Have you checked CL in the last hour?

Sent a message asking if it's avail?

Back