I saw Weber came out with a griddle. Anyone planning on purchasing?

I use my griddle solely for breakfast (pancakes, eggs, bacon, breakfast burritos, French toast are never better) and things like stir fry.

I have tried steak and didn’t like it. Burgers I still grill.

I have a griddle the spans two burners on my gas stove inside. It regularly cooks pancakes and french toast.

I'll use a lodge CI griddle on the gas grill when I want blackened fish.

I cook bacon on a sheet pan in the oven. I use parchment paper and can easily pour the fat into a mason jar.

If I were still camping often I'd want one and without a doubt it would be used. Bacon, hash browns, breakfast burritos, pancakes, french toast.

Grilled Cheese sammies for lunch, or grilled buns for burgers.

I tried using a small lodge cast iron griddle plate on my genesis but it was a pain. The Lodge just couldn't stay hot with the lid up. Especially with the Genesis 1000 I think there's just too much steel in the flavorizer bars in the way. No one wants to use a griddle with the lid down. I love a grilled burger but there's just something about a smashburger that's hard to beat. Plus, it's easy to get some caramelized onions going, get your buns toasted, etc. Being able to make cheesesteaks is amazing. Making breakfast for a lot of people is great. You don't think you'll need to space of 36 inch wide griddle, but you'll use it if you have it.

I think the build quality has to be better on the Weber. The Blackstone is pretty chintzy, but I keep it covered and I keep the griddle seasoned. The burners are exposed to zero grease. It'll probably last me a LONG time where I'm at. The advantage with Weber is parts availability, etc.

Yah, I tried smash burgers on an old wagner round flat skillet on my genesis. It would heat up just fine, but as soon as I lifted the lid to put on burgers and smash them, it would quickly start losing heat and by the time it was time to put on a second round of smash burgers, it was barely cooking them, much less searing them. I think that if you intend to use a griddle on a genesis, it should be one that covers 90% of the grilling surface to hold in heat and taking the flavorizer bars out as well would probably help. I am also thinking that a Silver B would be better than a 1000 since the burners are closer to the griddle.

I have a piece of 1/4” thick stainless steel on our grill that works great for making smash burgers. It’s the right size for making two burgers (four patties). The trick is to give the “griddle” enough time to get up to temp. About 20 minutes on HHH gets it done.
After cooking, I pour water on the stainless to clean it and the water still dances around, so it stays hot for a while. I guess thinner steel would lose heat quicker. FD408A12-D05B-48D8-9645-29D8EDA34C25.jpeg

Gerry

I don't have a griddle yet, I'm a Weber kinda guy though. I've been thinking hard about getting a portable one for work. I'm living in hotels every week for 8 days at a shot. So a portable griddle would be handy. Currently have a Weber kettle in my job trailer with a big ole circle plate steel for griddling. It's handy for sure, takes a minute to heat that up though. Griddle would be super convenient and timely. From the videos I'm not super sold on the Weber griddle yet.

Timothy, that’s a much better way to blow $100! The thing will tuck away into much less space, I don’t have enough storage space for a dedicated cart with a big flattop on it. I’m not making breakfast for six where I’d need that much real estate. I just don’t have the need. Happy for those that do but, it ain’t me.

Lots of one and two person breakfasts to be done on that. For $99, I can't argue against it. You can almost count that as an "incidental" purchase. Forgo a couple trips with the wife to the restaurant and it is paid for. Would be a great addition to camping. But, at 350 sq inches of cooking space, it is still about the same size as a Genesis Silver A for cooking area.

Last edited:
I tried using a small lodge cast iron griddle plate on my genesis but it was a pain. The Lodge just couldn't stay hot with the lid up. Especially with the Genesis 1000 I think there's just too much steel in the flavorizer bars in the way. No one wants to use a griddle with the lid down.

You can get a griddle insert on a gasser hotter if positioned on the side where the sear burner is. My default setting is half flat (sear, hot), half grates (cooler). With the option to go all flat (cheesesteaks, shrimp) or all rails (big load of wings).

Attachments

• GG half n half.jpg
    GG half n half.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 6
That is the one I have been mulling over. $99 makes it almost a no brainer. Though when it really was a no brainer late last summer at $49 I shoulda bought one (or two). Actually went back right after I saw them and had bought the pellet grill. Still kickin myself for not buying one of them and hell shoulda bought 2 of the pellet grills LOL

Third review, second cook by this guy, it appears that he now loves it.

Just watched it. Might be adding one soon. Seems it was the best griddle for heat distribution that he has ever used. He even seemed blown away by the heat controls. I don't care that much about the aesthetics and care more about the performance and his only gripe is the way it looks and he isn't a fan of the grease tray.

If someone gave me a griddle , I'm not sure what I'd cook on it.

Not trying to be a naysayer, just thinking though what I cook, and if I'd want to go outside to cook pancakes.

I have a non stick griddle top I use with my Spirit 3 grill and on the stovetop in the house. On the Weber we use it for smash burgers/Motz’s burgers primarily.

Amazon has it for under $30. It works fine.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/THE-ROCK...ill-Griddle-Pan-Cast-Aluminum-Black/763619474

416ByKUbIDL._AC_.jpg

Back