I picked up two Genesis 1000s from

Well, I guess someone has decided to purchase those grates I posted. A couple days after I posted them, the price wen't up to $35 plus and now it is all the way up $40.99.

That is about a 25% increase. I had heard that Amazon monitors items and if there is a sudden run on an item, the system automatically raises the price. Sure looks like that is what happened here. I just gave them free advertising. I should get a free set of their grates.....NO? :(

Guilty. I paid 36 shipped for one set. I guess we shouldn't be so surprised that the law of supply and demand is alive and well.

Guilty. I paid 36 shipped for one set. I guess we shouldn't be so surprised that the law of supply and demand is alive and well.

Bruce,
I guess I am guilty, too! Based on reading your review I bought two at the $35.99 price !

So are Xavier and I to blame or you;)?

I appreciate the good lead. When I finally get my Genesis factory churning, one thing I still needed was some more grates. That seemed like a standout deal, so I went for it. I have several used plated cast iron grates that I hope I can clean up, in some cases maybe grinding off the remaining coating that is half gone. I might try offering a choice on one of my listings to see what reaction that brings. Either way,I think shiny new stainless rod grates can help make a classic older grill look more competitive in today’s market.

Last edited:
Well, I guess someone has decided to purchase those grates I posted. A couple days after I posted them, the price wen't up to $35 plus and now it is all the way up $40.99.

That is about a 25% increase. I had heard that Amazon monitors items and if there is a sudden run on an item, the system automatically raises the price. Sure looks like that is what happened here. I just gave them free advertising. I should get a free set of their grates.....NO? :(

Nah, it's probably Donny boy's tariffs in play :cool:

That is about a 25% increase.

Your math is a bit off, Bruce. A $5 increase from $36 to $41 is more like 13.8%

As for the others that purchased those, are any of you planning to actually "use" them in the coming weeks? Or are they headed for flip grills?

I bought the initial 3 sets for under $33.00 just before I posted the link on here.

Two mine already went on flip grills. Eventually, the third will too.

That’s my plan for the two I bought. By the way, mine arrived today, and I am very impressed with the weight of the grates and thickness of the bars. Seem REALLY good to me. I will compare with Weber set I have when I have time to open and clean a set. I was a little taken back by the warning to wear gloves when opening. I guess to be sure you don’t get manufacturing residue on you(?)

As far as the spacing of the bars, I think these are perfectly adequate. If I were to do shrimp or soft fish I would just supplement with a special holder for them. But for steaks, chops, burgers etc. I think the spacing is just fine. I think they will add more than $36 to the selling price of my next flip.

Your math is a bit off, Bruce. A $5 increase from $36 to $41 is more like 13.8%

As for the others that purchased those, are any of you planning to actually "use" them in the coming weeks? Or are they headed for flip grills?

Half to laugh...;)you would think the accountant would have noticed that, but I guess I am still burned out from taxes:eek:!

I am planning on using them for resale at this point but they look just like what I believe are a Weber set that came with my Silver C. I will post a comparison and maybe if I can get my current set to really shine, I will sell and keep one of the Amazon new ones to give it a personal longer term test.

Last edited:
Then you would have been wrong. Because he was wrong. I originally bought my grates for under $33. Now they are 41

Then you would have been wrong. Because he was wrong. I originally bought my grates for under $33. Now they are 41

Double laugh;):D on me! No taxes today. I better stick with manual labor which sounds a lot more fun.

I did notice that they are still holding out for the $41, but there are only 4 left. Hopefully, they will restock and the price will come back down.

Yah, I thought I had a good thing going until I posted on this forum and a dozen people bought them all at once. It will probably take a while before the price drops back down now. Even at $41, it isn't a bad deal.

Yah, I thought I had a good thing going until I posted on this forum and a dozen people bought them all at once.

Shame on you, Bruce, for sharing a totally sweet tip with fellow enthusiasts who appreciate it as much as you, thanks to our shared passion!

On Reddit, when someone posts a link to a cool lesser-known website that suddenly drives so much web traffic that the site crashes, they call it the "hug of death".

I feel the same about sharing totally sweet, lesser known hiking trails. As soon as more people start hearing about it, it gets overrun and becomes less enjoyable.

But seriously, thank you for the tip. At least you know we appreciate it.

Want another tip? The price on the grates just went back down to $32.99 but they will only let you order one. I made two orders of one each...hahahha.

I still see them as $40 bucks is it a different link I am retiring end of June so gonna work for Costco a few days a week and restore grills for a few bucks.

Bruce, I think you did lots of people have weber charcoal grills along with the gasser I just bought a performer the same company makes a GBS stainless grate for $26 bucks shipped just bought one and Rich bought one if they are not junk the price should be going up on those also will keep an eye on them.

If they are not junk its an unbelievable deal we will see.

Bruce, I think you did lots of people have weber charcoal grills along with the gasser I just bought a performer the same company makes a GBS stainless grate for $26 bucks shipped just bought one and Rich bought one if they are not junk the price should be going up on those also will keep an eye on them.

If they are not junk its an unbelievable deal we will see.

I checked that out. That IS a really good deal. They are made out of 201 stainless, which I had to look up. It used manganese instead of nickel. Sounds like it has its pros and cons, the negative being more prone to rust. On the other hand, it has better durability and hardness. Regardless, it has to be better than those cheap chrome plated regular steel junkers that Weber offers as replacements - at a higher price no less! The GBS doesn't do a lot for me, but at least you have the option.

The maroon one has been rehabbed with new Weber stainless grates and will be heading to its new owner this Friday (the new owner was 2nd in line for another grill I had listed and I gave him first rights on this one):

27549552547_f35926420e_h.jpg

41696570444_2ac784a51f_h.jpg

42419633041_06cf8d83a1_h.jpg

41471709315_d71af01de5_h.jpg

27504579587_d0d2c97746_h.jpg

The Weber stainless FBs were in pretty good shape underneath all the crud and were wirewheeled to be presentable for resale.

Various parts from the green grill are being used in my ongoing Genesis 2 project

Last edited:

Back