I picked up two Genesis 1000s from

JKim in MA

TVWBB Pro
The title should read, "I picked up two Genesis 1000s from the same person."

The previous owner and his father bought them new at the same time back in the mid 90s and he seemed to take comfort knowing that they'd be restored. I made arrangements to go pick them up one at a time on back-to-back days as my wagon cannot fit both.

40969648105_361f6fbbf3_o.jpg

41868227631_7a33b957a1_o.jpg

Let's start with the green one:

the good:

the upper frame is rust free
came with weber stainless FBs
came with weber stamped stainless grates (1 is salvageable, the other has a broken grate)
came with the rotisserie mounting bracket

the bad:

every z-bracket is rusted out (even the one for the swing shelf)
the gas valves are seized
the hood has a chip on the porcelain at a very visible spot
the knobs are broken
no lower shelf
one of the lower frame pieces have rot
came with old style regulator with the weber quick disconnect fitting

future plan: I have another 1000 that has a good lower frame. i will mix and match frame pieces and get one decent grill out of it

The maroon one..

The good:

the entire frame is rot free
came with weber stainless FBs
came with good weber stamped porcelain grates
came with the rotisserie mounting bracket
came with the old style regulator with the quick disconnect fitting

the bad:

gas valves were seized
igniter was physically broken
z-brackets are rusty
knobs were broken
one missing wheel

I was able to get this one working as of this morning after replacing the igniter button assembly and replacing the regulator and wheel.

so out of the 3, i may be able to get 2 working ones out of them.

Last edited:
That sounds great. Those Z brackets are very hard to come by. You can get them in Stainless from RCPLanebuyer for about $6 each....I can't remember if that included shipping or not. Both of those grills have the slide bars for the swing tables which is great. How is the swing table hardware looking on the back of the swing table? Some times that is rusted as bad or worse than the Z brackets. Again, tough to find replacements.

Great score and good luck with the restores. I assume they were free.

The current price for the z brackets is $17 per pair plus shipping, but if you were to buy more than one at the same time, the next pair would be less and the shipping price would likely remain the same.

The swing table is good on the maroon one, I haven't looked at the one on the green one that closely.

You might be able to get the Z brackets for less from RCPlanebuyer and they would be stainless. You wouldn't need to even paint them if you didn't want to. I am sure if you bought several of them, his shipping would be quite reasonable. They are identical to the factory ones, but just stainless instead of regular steel.

Good luck with the restore. It sounds like you have some great candidates.

Oh. OK. gotcha. I dont think weber even makes them any more. I couldn't find them at any of the aftermarket sites either for a reasonable price.

I just picked up a pretty "minty" Genesis 2000 today (thanks to Bruce for seeing it and letting me know because the way it was listed on CL I missed it). Needs FBs frame is 100% good, grease tray rails good, durawood trays and brackets perfect, stamped porcelain steel grates almost perfect, needs some sprucing up a couple minor fasteners here and there, overall an excellent find and all for..................wait for it................$20. I'm getting scared here I may get the "sickness"
2mx3ol4.jpg

2dvnds4.jpg

9h3qz8.jpg

2drhtub.jpg

25ir8eh.jpg

359e3yh.jpg

Wow! Sweet finds for both you guys. Great colors and all have potential. Good luck on them.

Larry,
Are you going to put a side burner on that one?

Larry, glad to help you get such a great find. That is a "Steal" by anyone's standard. I got my holy grail today, a blue hood. Actually, I got two of them for $50.

Nice day for you JKim for getting two grills, Bruce for getting his two Blue "dream" grills, and Larry too for finding that sweet 2000.

Jeff

Good jobs all around. Larry, I believe you have been "sick" for some time now! JKim: You can probably get those seized valves moving nice and smooth by following Chris A's video regarding lubing the valves. Lube is always a good thing :)

Wow, nice finds! I was also able to find a 3000 redhead and took hold of it yesterday. Pics to come as it is still sitting in the back of my pickup.

Wow, nice finds! I was also able to find a 3000 redhead and took hold of it yesterday. Pics to come as it is still sitting in the back of my pickup.

Natural gas?! I was talking with the seller since Monday but couldn't find a truck to grab it. I really wanted that 3000 frame, side burner, and bottom tray.

I did, however, get a free 1000 greenie last Saturday with flip up side table.

Natural gas?! I was talking with the seller since Monday but couldn't find a truck to grab it. I really wanted that 3000 frame, side burner, and bottom tray.

I did, however, get a free 1000 greenie last Saturday with flip up side table.

No, it was LP. Nice find on that greenie.

Wow! Sweet finds for both you guys. Great colors and all have potential. Good luck on them.

Larry,
Are you going to put a side burner on that one?

I sure am. The SB is already in my possession stored under the Silver B. The cool thing here is I have far more spare stuff for the 2000 and none for the Silver. Now all I need to do is find another rotisserie kit for the Genesis because I gave mine to the Son in Law and Daughter with the Old Gen 3 I gave them. Also got permission to pull the trigger today on having Dave (RC) start the custom grates for my Wolf and once I have those the Summit will get a quickie clean, some cheap grates and go for sale as I am done dealing with fire box issues. As good as Weber once was they truly hit bottom with me when they refused to continue support for that grill while it was under warranty and basically wash their hands of it and me. Sadly other than the inability to do quality rotisserie that Summit was about the finest cooking machine I've ever used. Dead even side to side front to back. Loved the cabinet, overall an impressively built and performing grill (though it was EXPENSIVE) thankfully I got it at a close out of the model and also the store itself going out of business BUT it still was not cheap (well in excess of $1000!) but it's time to move on I guess. I need to find some way to retrofit igniters to the Wolf as the OEM ones cost $85 EACH and there are 6 of them! I found some Member Mark replacements on FleaBay that I may be able to make work. I need to make a slight mod to the fire box to make it a little easier to clean and I think I'll be golden also put a new latch(es) on the cabinet doors. I totally dread trying to get that beast off the deck and into the garage and back again to do all that work. Ugh. It weighs like 2 Summits and it's as big front to back as the Summit is wide.
Well work seems to be cut out for me!

I think Chris the Moderator needs to change the title to "Show off your new project grills for the 2018 season."

Here's this morning's find, a Silver C with a busted side shelf

41886779511_2a241085f7_o.jpg

I have some leftover pieces from a Gold C I parted out last year. I may convert this one into a Gold C.

I think Chris the Moderator needs to change the title to "Show off your new project grills for the 2018 season."

JKim - start a new thread! I LOVE that idea!

I'll post on it when I get home today.

I think format should be like :

[] Grill Description
[] Where did you find it
[] Pic 1
[] Pic 2
[] Pic 3 (limit 3, make em good)
[] What do you plan to do with the grill once "complete"
[] What do you plan to do to the grill to get it "complete"

:redgenesis1::redgenesis1::redgenesis1::redgenesis1::redgenesis1::redgenesis1:

JKim - start a new thread! I LOVE that idea!

I'll post on it when I get home today.

I think format should be like :

[] Grill Description
[] Where did you find it
[] Pic 1
[] Pic 2
[] Pic 3 (limit 3, make em good)
[] What do you plan to do with the grill once "complete"
[] What do you plan to do to the grill to get it "complete"

:redgenesis1::redgenesis1::redgenesis1::redgenesis1::redgenesis1::redgenesis1:

I like it, too. Let’s get it started.

Back