I need a kettle, would you suggest 22” Master-Touch or 26”?

Jason L. T.

I’m getting more into charcoal and would like to add a good kettle to my arsenal. I currently have a Genesis EP-330 gas and a WSM 18.5”. I also have a 22” jumbo Joe at campground, but it’s so shallow.

Of the 22” kettles I like the Master Touch features, but I wonder if I need/want the extra room of the 26”? Family of 4, smoking is done on the WSM. Price difference is not huge, but not small either. Back deck is getting crowded with Genesis, Blackstone, and WSM though😮

You good folks have much more experience than I do with these, what would you suggest, 22 or 26? Thanks

I really like the 26” for extra real estate compared to a 22”. You can cook multiple items and whole meals.
I say buy the 26”, you won’t regret the purchase.

Attachments

• 2EC6EBCA-581D-4ABA-A111-8CC96EFDF6A5.jpeg
    2EC6EBCA-581D-4ABA-A111-8CC96EFDF6A5.jpeg
    207.4 KB · Views: 19
  • CEC2417D-B507-4068-BAA2-932CF2B153E0.jpeg
    CEC2417D-B507-4068-BAA2-932CF2B153E0.jpeg
    203.5 KB · Views: 18
Family of 4 the 22" is plenty big enough. I'd say get the Performer with a fold down table if room is an issue. I have a Performer deluxe the Performer with fold down table a 26" and 2 22 wsm. If you do family gatherings a bunch or parties a 26 comes in handy. If you can swing both then that's what I would do. Another option is 2 22's.

Buy both.:)
Try and find a used gas assist performer, ask anybody that has one... they rule and it has plenty of room for 4 people.
I love my 26R, she eats charcoal but is rock solid for larger parties when I need it.

Good luck.

I have a MasterTouch 22 and quite satisfied with it. But if you are in any doubt get the 26. It’s a whole lot easier to use only 2/3s of the room you have than trying to squeeze a big cook in a 22. And wishing you had a bit more space

Appreciate the replies, and you make a good case for buying both 🤔. Maybe my question should have been which to buy first. 🥩🔥...

Appreciate the replies, and you make a good case for buying both 🤔. Maybe my question should have been which to buy first. 🥩🔥...
Get the 22. If you have a table to prep stuff and for finished product you can just get a standard kettle. If not and space is a issue get the Performer with fold down table. It's about 20 bucks more than a master touch. If you have room and 100-150 bucks + - get the performer with full table and you don't need gas assist I never use mine. 22s have way more flexibility than a 26 with more options. I have dedicated grills so I can keep certain setups without changing and moving stuff around. Multiple 22s can get you more space then a single 26 as well. Obviously if you can only get 1 that is where the 26 may be the best option. Accessories are limited and more expensive. If you can get multiple then get both but I would start with a 22. One more thing the gbs grate IMO is junk I got a hunsaker 304 ss grate for all but 1. I use the gbs for my dedicated vortex.

Last edited:
Plenty of cheap used 22" kettles on Marketplace. Pick one up, try it out. See if it meets your needs. If it does, you can always resell it for what you paid, or even make a little extra if you clean it really well.

Then buy a new mastertouch or 26", if you want new.

I have both a 22 and 26. I mainly use the 22 out of those 2, but my PK360 is my goto grill that is used most often. Still love my Webers though.

I use my 26" as a smoker, but sounds like you use a WSM for that. 26 also gets used when I need the extra space for a big party 3-4 times a year.

What about a Weber Summit Kamado costly yes but its 24" so in between the 22 and 26. You said your deck was getting crowded so instead of 2 grills your back down to 1. That is going to be my birthday present to myself in October. I have a performer and love it but I do a lot of wings and really at times wish I had more real estate which of course I could just add a used 22 but I really don't want to add another grill.

It would pain me to sell my performer and I already have a buyer when the time comes provided they want to wait that long.

What he said ^^^ I have the 26 and a performer. Since adding the Weber Summit Charcoal the spiders use the 26 more than I do and the performer is now at my dads house.

Back