I got my knives back! That calls for a Philly!!

Steve R

TVWBB Member
Ok y'all - I sent my knives out for their annual sharpening that I get for free via the manufacturer, it's two weeks of having to use steak knives to cook, it sucks, but they're back and sharp like new!

IMG_4183.jpg

This also calls for a beer! Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin - Hard to find, extremely delicious. If you like west coast IPA's, don't drink this, save it for me!

IMG_4184.jpg

I grew up in Philly and was feeling pretty homesick for a cheesesteak. Got a select ribeye, just over 1lb (no sense in spending a ton of money for prime or above if you're just going to chop it up).

IMG_4185.jpg

Sliced it up real nice with my freshly sharpened slicer - Pardon the sloppy slicing - My butcher wasn't able to slice for me and I didn't have a chance to freeze the meat, and this is the first time I actually used a knife, my deli slicer is lent out at the moment... darn.

IMG_4186.jpg

Also, my dad decided he wanted to go back to his Yoder grates, so he gave me his GrillGrates - I can't complain. They fit perfectly on the Genesis. I cleaned them up a bit, flipped them over, and got some heat on 'em! No comments on the dirty grill!

IMG_4187.jpg

Brushed w/ canola and fried up the onions.

IMG_4188.jpg

Onions to the side, time for the steak - salt & pepper and onto the heat - PRO TIP - cut off the ribeye cap aka the culotte, it's not going to add much to your steak sammich, and grill this up while you grill up the rest of the meat (notice it on the left). This is the cook's appetizer... throw some S&P on it, and you have yourself a delicious cut of ribeye cap... ribeye to me is useless without a good ribeye cap, this is hands down the best cut off the cow. If only I could find one locally that isn't $100+ wagyu.

IMG_4189.jpg

Portion the meat on the grates after you chop it up to your liking, and put some onions on top, then the cheese, then the roll (these rolls suck, can't get the real deal down here). I used some sharp provolone, but only because I couldn't find any Wiz... WIZ WIT is how to do it!

IMG_4190.jpg

PRO TIP - A Philly steak isn't a philly steak until it's rolled up in foil or serving paper, it just compresses it into a manageable size to eat, and keeps it warm a little longer. But the real reason for this is that it creates an amazing cheese sauce with the cheese and steak juices, this is a crucial step.

IMG_4191.jpg

Ok... Here's your bite:
IMG_4193.jpg

Overall was great - My first time on the GrillGrates and I LOVED them, they were perfect for this cook. Steak was tender (how could it not be, sliced thin ribeye chopped into pieces..hmmm)... the steak itself was a little dry, but I probably overcooked it a bit.

Anyway, thanks for looking, I'm going to pass out on the couch, now that I just consumed this belly bomb.

I didn't grow up in Philly, but went to school just outside the city. I share your love of the cheesesteak and you've truly done it justice. Nice job.

I travel to Philly often. I always eat at Trieste in Prospect Park at least once, and Dock Street in West Philly for Pizza and Beer. I've not settled on THE steak place yet.

"The whiz wit' is to Philly what a pastrami on rye with mustard is to New York City."

Nicely done, the cheeze wiz is traditional but I prefer the sharp provolone for taste and texture. Yours were done very well

Thanks guys - I'm a sucker for the Wiz, agreed, it's like the pastrami on rye w/ mustard in NYC.

Dwain - Walk a few blocks north from Dock Street to 44th and Spruce, a great bar called Local 44 with good food. I haven't been in a few years, but they were solid when I lived right across the street. Also, a must hit spot is on 45th and Walnut (I think) called Saad's Halal, order the Chicken Maroush - Thank me later. For a good steak (sandwich), I actually prefer Geno's over Pats, but also Steve's in Center City is probably my favorite.

Excellent looking sandwich!! I have never been to Philly or anywhere even close to the place but I sure do love a good cheesesteak sandwich!!

Very nice! Any info on the knife manufacturer? I like the idea of an annual sharpening!

Hi Benji - They're Shun Classics. You can get super fancy knives from these guys. They're Japanese style knives, with a much more acute angle on the sharpen. You're not really supposed to sharpen these unless you're good at a stone, or you have one specifically designed for this angle (can't recall what it is off the top of my head).

The benefit to these is they're very sharp compared to other german knives, however they don't hold their edge as long. That's why I'll send them out once a year for a refresh.

Steve,that looks amazing! Well done!
And a spotless grill is suspicious in my mind! Looks like it's never been used! :D

Looks real good. For Super Bowl sunday i actually had my butcher slice me up some ribeye for the same purpose. Someone mentioned sharp provolone and i will say that is my favorite, can't find it here in VA though, with a close second being good old white american.

The only question i have is what is that green stuff on the plate? :) :)

Also next time you are in philly go to the reading terminal market and there is a place in there that has roast pork sandwiches topped with broccoli rabe and provolone that is incredible.

Haha oh yes, I know ALL about Dinic's roast pork. I love it, but absolutely prefer a good cheesesteak to it.

Looks real good. For Super Bowl sunday i actually had my butcher slice me up some ribeye for the same purpose. Someone mentioned sharp provolone and i will say that is my favorite, can't find it here in VA though, with a close second being good old white american.

The only question i have is what is that green stuff on the plate? :) :)

Also next time you are in philly go to the reading terminal market and there is a place in there that has roast pork sandwiches topped with broccoli rabe and provolone that is incredible.

Haha oh yes, I know ALL about Dinic's roast pork. I love it, but absolutely prefer a good cheesesteak to it.

I couldn't remember the name of the place :) I too prefer a cheesesteak and whenever i go back home to visit my family if it is less than 3 days, all i get are cheesesteaks but any longer amount of time i get at least one roast pork sandwich...

Back