I give up!

All my chuck roasts get relegated to the pressure cooker either for pot roast or vegetable soup. Just too tough and stringy for other dishes. Funny thing is, chuck used to be a really cheap roast. Now I find it as high as a rump, round roast or even tri-tip.

I’ve only done a couple but I will say they have turned out really good. I don’t wrap but do go 220 ish so it takes a while. Honestly they’re good but ribs and brisket are more liked in my house so those get cooked more often. Is it me or is the price on that cut of meat out of line?

Yes, they're staying as cold weather fare from now on.
Just a thought. Not sure it’s been mentioned. It’s just my wife and I and like you really don’t need a whole brisket. Lately we’ve been separating the point from the flat and grinding the flat into burger and smoking the point (we prefer the point). I buy my briskets on sale and pay less than $2 a pound. We grind the flat into burger which makes for good cheap burger which compared to store bought is in our mind is a lot better.

Yeah it's a thought as well. But even a point is like a week of eating every day for just us. And that much burger. We don't use all that much of that either

Yeah it's a thought as well. But even a point is like a week of eating every day for just us. And that much burger. We don't use all that much of that either
We end up vacuum sealing what we don’t eat on the point (which for us isn’t much 😋) And vacuum seal the burger for later use.

My issue is my deep freezer. It's an upright but it's so hard to organize. I saw Samsung and a couple other companies have come up with an upright with drawers in it. I think one is going to find it's way to my basement and I will sell the Thompson

Rehashing this. This is what makes me crrrraaaaaazzzzy! I just stumbled on to this video
of smoking a chuckie. Look at his results. I did the same thing. Why do I end up with tasty filet of shoe soul and this guy get beautiful meat? Honestly this is why I have no hair ;D

Rehashing this. This is what makes me crrrraaaaaazzzzy! I just stumbled on to this video
of smoking a chuckie. Look at his results. I did the same thing. Why do I end up with tasty filet of shoe soul and this guy get beautiful meat? Honestly this is why I have no hair ;D
At almost $6 per lb I will go for a brisket any day for less $$. I do the same as he did and use the oven in winter and gas grill in summer to finish once wrapped.

When I use my pellet grill it's for an easy no stress cook. I do chuck roasts 3 hours smoke 2 hours wrapped with broth and 1 hour unwrapped save the juice for serving. I put the meat in a foil pan after the smoke step to make sure I don't lose any juice. Temp is 225-250 the whole time. Turns out great every time.

Last edited:
Chucks are a tough BBQ. To have a good chuck BBQ, you have to do two cooks. 1) Smoke, 2) Braise. You smoke it to 100 or so degrees as low as you can go pit temp, when it hits 100 IT, you pull it off, wrap it in foil with broth and whatever else floats your boat, and you finish it wrapped in foil. By putting broth in the foil, you're basically braising at that point, which is pretty much was a crockpot does. Both cooks are low and slow, I believe the SF lowest temp is 200 degrees, and that's the temp you want to stay at

YMMV
As stated above, I smoke to about 100 then break it up and add to slow cooker with the added smikecflavor is a hit.

I have also done them like a butt wrap around 120 tob135 with some liquid. And continue to cook up 200 to 205, I do flip it a couple times during the cook. Have had good luck for pulled tacos, and sandwiches.
One time was a complete fail. To lean I think.

See now there you guys go making me feel even more inadequate :D I think in our lives as hobby cooks we all run across one Achilles heel. I guess mine will be smoking a chuckie. I'm not even gonna try again. Hell, I've ruined 3 of them LOL. At least I was successful on my first brisket cook. So much so I am going to take the advice of a few of you folks and make one, what is not eaten on day of will be vacuum sealed and made into individual meals.

Don"t give up! My pellet pooper works the best with 3-2-1 cooks. Any time I want to make something tough, scrumptious it's my go to. Beef ribs, pot roast, chuck roast. :) Pork ribs fall off the bone, some people want some pull on pork ribs but my friends want fall off the bone. I am going to do a smoked corned beef soon I will post it.

I won't give up on my pellet grills only trying to do chuckies. Just pulled beef ribs off the Big Z tonight. Was all I could do to not over stuff myself. I do chuck roasts just fine in the house (braised in oven, pressure cooker) but I cannot get the grill. I wish I could. But, will not give up my pellet popper(s).

It's not the cost bothering me. It's even if I only buy a small point or flat, it's still WAY too much. I need to find a smaller cut of beef, I can cook on a smoke yet small enough I don't feel I filled the freezer or we're eating leftovers for a month of Sundays.

Beef cheeks?

Beef cheeks?
I would try them if I could find them. This area does not have a lot when it comes to meat cutters and different ingredients. We don't even have a fish monger here. If it's not in the frozen case or at the grocery not gonna find it

Back