I Found Some Excellent LARGE Briskets - Too Large for my 18.5", Can I cut them?

Roger R.

TVWBB Fan
Locally I have found some excellent full packer Angus briskets in the 19/20 lb range. They are too long for my 18.5" cooker and I don't want to fold them.

Do you ever cut the brisket, leaving 1/2 with a flat & cap , and the other 1/2 a flat only?

If I do this, are there any tricks I should concern myself with when cooking the 2 different parts? I think I would freeze the flat for a later time and cook the point first.

Got any tips or suggestions for me?

Yep, many times since a whole brisket is more meat than two of us need at one time.
I proceed as normal, cook until tender.
Cut in half it will produce a piece of flat only, and a piece of flat with the point.

IMGP3840.JPG

Bob, When you cook the flat/point, do you insert your temp probe in the flat portion? Also, do you figure about 1.25hr per pound still? Do you figure 1.25hr per pound for the little flat too, when you cook it later?

Bob, When you cook the flat/point, do you insert your temp probe in the flat portion? Also, do you figure about 1.25hr per pound still? Do you figure 1.25hr per pound for the little flat too, when you cook it later?
I probe the flat if I bother to keep a check on the internal since it's done before the point.
No help on timing since I go until tender and don't keep notes.

Since most briskets are now trimmed "long," I don't hesitate to cut a few inches off the short flat end, which is often too thin to cook properly any way. The cut offs are excellent ground up 50/50 with chuck into burgers. Since the trimming usually makes the remaining flat about the same thickness, it all gets done at the same time.

Talk about timing, I just came back from Costco and was looking at the brisket flats and seeing I've never done a brisky before (head held down in shame) I was wondering if I could cut it in half because a whole flat is to much for the two of us. Questions answered right here. Amazing.

I watched a Cook's Country episode where they made faux burnt ends by slicing a regular brisket along the grain into 1.5" strips, then smoking and finishing in the oven. It looked interesting enough I may give it a try. Since they used sliced brisket with what appears to be good results, suggests to me there would be no issue in trimming the brisket to fit on WSM.

The video is viewable at the moment -- search for cooks country burnt ends.

I have often put 15-17 pound packers into my 18.5" WSM by cramming it between the grate handles. After 5-6 hours it shrinks down enough so it lays flat.

What Mache said !
You can also drape the brisket over a foil wrapped brick (or something similar)
As has been noted, cutting off the thin part of the flat also works.

X3 what Mache said, but this is an interesting topic. I picked up a case of Chuck Pectoral Muscle for cheap from GFS and it looks like brisket sliced the long way.
There was 8 pcs so I vac sealed them individually. I was thinking on using them for goulash or chili but now I might smoke a few.:wsm:

Tim

Back