I am restoring this Genesis 5 ....

I agree with LM, if it's going to be the ultimate keeper then get the ultimate grates from Dave.

I can't commit to a grill marriage. I only date grills it seems. I just bought my Q320 an engagement ring of sorts (grill cover). The G5 is too big for my small porch so it would have to sit under an overhang by my garage. I would basically have to save it for the next house where I hope to have a 10 x 10 covered patio for my grills. I will go for the 7mm grates but I do like the other ones because they look original.

I would give anything to have that project. I've only seen one of those around here since I got the bug, and it was gone instantly.

Mostly disassembled - Still need to take off the firebox and flip up tables. The back panels just pop out - no bolts! If you compare the wood to the before photos you will notice that most of the grey paint is now gone thanks to the pressure washer. I was surprised that it just came off. Still deciding to go back to grey or try something more natural.Washing.jpg

I can't commit to a grill marriage. I only date grills it seems. I just bought my Q320 an engagement ring of sorts (grill cover). The G5 is too big for my small porch so it would have to sit under an overhang by my garage. I would basically have to save it for the next house where I hope to have a 10 x 10 covered patio for my grills. I will go for the 7mm grates but I do like the other ones because they look original.
That's looking good, Joe. I can't believe that first generation wheel looks so new! A right side original table is very rare in and of itself, not to mention the glass cabinet doors.

Yeah, I guess instead of being non-committal on grill marriage, my problem is that I act like an Arabian sheik assembling a harem! 😬

That's looking good, Joe. I can't believe that first generation wheel looks so new! A right side original table is very rare in and of itself, not to mention the glass cabinet doors.

Yeah, I guess instead of being non-committal on grill marriage, my problem is that I act like an Arabian sheik assembling a harem! 😬
Jon - that is funny. With so many grills coming and going, it makes it tough to choose. I think what makes it easier for me is that all are treated as flips so I don't get attached (kind of like one night stands). Then this thing pops up and I am spending some serious time with her and I can see the possibility of a relationship forming. I was treating it as a flip but starting going down the rabbit hole of what would Jon, Larry, and Bruce do? See todays pics to see where that lead me.
20210428_102740.jpg20210428_103746.jpg20210428_110607.jpg20210428_114320.jpg20210428_142858.jpg20210428_142908.jpg

So my first real "mod" I cut out the bottom of the triangles on the smoker box. It was just plain stupid IMHO to have to take out like 9 bars to take the smoker box in and out. Seems to be a much better system now. Of course if Weber had just made the box 1 inch longer it could sit on the lip like a flavor bar. Go figure. So I got all the frame and gas parts back together. Next I will clean up and maybe paint the body panels. Saving the wood for last.

Attachments

• 20210501_223612.jpg
    20210501_223612.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 20210501_223631.jpg
    20210501_223631.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 20
Today I cleaned up the body panels and will touch up the very small amount of rust that I found. The grill is in pretty amazing shape. There is of course a kick myself moment today as I realized I put the right hand side of the frame backwards so the gas gauge sticker is on the back;-( Now that it is together I have to take it back apart.

Yep, that is an LP regulator and connector, but it is the old style connector that you needed to hook up with a wrench. I believe they were called POL connectors. They will still hook up to the new tanks by the way.

And with the two swing table slides on each side of the grill, that does spell Genesis 5000 as I don't think they had them back on the 1-5 models.

Yep, it seems every time I put a grill back together, I do something out of order that causes me to take stuff back apart and start over. Like putting the manifold on before putting in the burners.

Ugg - Wood work. I don't mind building things with it, but don't like the sanding and poly. My first and last grill restore with wood.

Attachments

• 20210505_135508.jpg
    20210505_135508.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210505_142235.jpg
    20210505_142235.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 18
Joe, I hear ya. 4 years ago, I did my first wood Genesis 1000. It is my personal grill. I have not done one since. LOL.
I basically convert every wood Genesis 1000 I do to durawood.

Back