I am restoring this Genesis 5 ....

My first and last grill restore with wood.
Your 5000 has the most wooden slats of any of
the grills. That's a handful, for sure. I have done 3
woody's. Jr., 1000, and a 3000. In no hurry to do another,
but I am sure I will at some point. I enjoy wood
working. Staining and varnishing isn't really much
work. The annoyance is the drying time. I always
have done mine in the dead of summer when the
humidity is ridiculous, which doubles the wait time,
and just makes it that much longer of an annoyance.

The dry time and wood work certainly drags the rebuild time out by double. There is a Skyline model about 2 hours away for $100 that look in pretty good shape. We are going right past it next week to meet of with some friends at a campground in St. Mary's MD. I am hoping someone else buys it, as I don't want to do the wood work again.
1620305179088.png

Joe, that looks like a nice example of a Skyline. However, if it is still available next week when you make your trip, I would be offering a bit less than $100. Also, it has all the durawood in place, so you don't have to do wood, unless you really want to.

Joe, that looks like a nice example of a Skyline. However, if it is still available next week when you make your trip, I would be offering a bit less than $100. Also, it has all the durawood in place, so you don't have to do wood, unless you really want to.
That grey stuff is durawood? Is there anyway to make that look better?

Joe, yah, they did paint wood slats gray for a while, but I think by 1998 they had gone to all durawood. All the skylines I have seen have been durawood.
They way I clean it is with bleach and #0000 steel wool. It gets out 95% of the grease, grime, rust and other stains.

For those lucky enough to have access to a power washer, the Durawood cleans up to "like new" condition. Interestingly however, if you are too aggressive with the p.w., it "raises the grain" almost like with real wood. So don't be too heavy handed. Give it a soak in a cleaner then blast away!

Your 5000 has the most wooden slats of any of
the grills. That's a handful, for sure. I have done 3
woody's. Jr., 1000, and a 3000. In no hurry to do another,
but I am sure I will at some point. I enjoy wood
working. Staining and varnishing isn't really much
work. The annoyance is the drying time. I always
have done mine in the dead of summer when the
humidity is ridiculous, which doubles the wait time,
and just makes it that much longer of an annoyance.
Well the sanding to start and between every coat is tons of fun also. For some reasons I am getting particles, dust or something and it is not totally smooth? I sand, blow with a compressor, then wipe with a clean rag and mineral spirits. Any idea? It was hard to capture in a photo but this is what I got.
20210506_114856.jpg

That is because you are using a gloss finish in a non Dust Free environment. Almost impossible to avoid if you are doing that in the garage or worse outside.

I started outside. When I saw the particles, I moved it inside the garage for future coats, but did not seem to make much of a difference. I was thinking of picking up a new brush. It is really bugging me.

So I figured a grill of this heritage needs a tank cover. I also ordered a couple extra igniters at Amazon for about $9 each. I was surprised by the nice packaging on the igniters....Very iphoney. Usually they just fall out of a plastic baggy.20210506_142804.jpg

Do you have a link to the igniters Joe?

I ordered 2 of these in the last month, and had pretty good luck with them.

onlyfire Igniter Kit ($9.99) but they are $1.40 more. I would've bought these ones if I saw them. Probably will get this one for the next purchase.

I think everyone of those are all basically the same to include the igniter. So, I just go with the least expensive option. Like, I have said before, i wish they would just sell the SS gas collector separate for half the price. The igniters rarely go bad and I have about two dozen of them in my parts bin, but no gas collectors. And it would be nice if they made them out of thicker stainless as well so they don't burn up int three or four years.

Well it is more or less finished. I sent back the grates and am waiting for new ones as the ones I got looked painted as you may notice in the pictures. If you look at the picture outside you can see in the upper right my wife's cook box planter. It took me about 2 weeks of a lot more work than I have on any other grill, by a large margin. I had never taken apart a frame or done woodwork on a grill before. Besides the internals such as tubes, flavorizers and grates, the grill is almost 100% original. The wood and everything else was in overall amazing shape for being 30 years old. Only a little surface rust in a few spots that I treated and painted.
20210507_144602.jpg20210507_144602.jpg20210507_141336.jpg20210507_141415.jpg20210507_142020.jpg20210507_144531.jpg20210507_144723.jpg

Back