I am restoring this Genesis 5 ....

By all means you can put casters on it. Just cut off about 1" (IIRC) on the left legs and install standard casters from a Genesis X000. EZPZ. YOu got a REAL keeper there BTW. The only way that grill should leave your hands is by prying it from your cold dead fingers

Weberitis never goes away. I picked up a Spirit and Silver C while out curb shopping last week. Why? Because I couldn’t leave them.

I am sure that is what happened. It seems to be a common issue. The problem is that during the day, the flames are hard to see and people sometimes inadvertently close the cover with the burner on. Sometimes they do this thinking the grill is off completely and it will run for hours like that. That might have happened with this one.
If it isn't too bad, it can be removed with some bar keepers friend and scrubbing. But, I am skeptical that one will ever look new again.

That is a 5000 my guess the casters froze up and were removed or whatever, you can see in the brochure that the porcelain table came with it you are lucky as I have not seen many that still had that serving table probably most lost over the years. If you look at the tank scale maybe its me but it looks like they took a manifold bracket and attached it to the tank scale to hang the tank for some reason.

Brian, you are correct about the manifold bracket. Good eye. My guess is that it fell off the grill and the owner thought it was supposed to go on the scale to hold the tank or he just decided it held the tank better than the latch on the scale. Tanks just don't fit on those tank scale brackets very well. The brackets are too small.

The grill does not look lopsided. If someone had removed existing casters the grill would be visibly lopsided so I still say it's a 5 not a 5000

Larry, the grill has slides for the swing tables. I don't think the Genesis 1-5 grills had slides.

I am guessing it is a 5000. Here are more pics. Brand new flavorizers;-) The regulator leaks and will need to be replaced. As Chris pointed out that safety system needs to be bypassed as it does start but will not stay lit. The drip pan bracket is welded to the drip trey which is something else I have not seen. The middle burner to crossover tube is certainly different than usual. I posted what is left of the serial #5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg9.jpg20210425_123429.jpg20210425_123900.jpg20210425_124223.jpg

There are casters but they are shot. Now of course that I landed the fish, I have to decide what to do with it. I am not a big fan of restoring wood work, as I am more a mechanical type guy. I am really torn about doing a Joe Special (just getting 100% working and looking nice) then flipping or keeping. A Bruce rehab - tear down, involving sandblasting, cleaning and coating the inside of the frame, etc, and come out a few months down the road new, is typically more than my attention span allows. Plus this thing is a real-estate hog and I will have to move it when our new home is hopefully built. For now I will start taking it apart, cleaning and getting it useable. I may even try cooking on it. I have to admit that the doors and matching tray are very cool. It could very well grow on me. My favorite old Weber is the Genesis Platinum and this one giving it a little competition in my heart. Not that it matters now as I have this, and not the platinum. Just out of curiosity, fixed up decently (Not a Bruce job), what would it be worth or what would a starting price be?

I think many of us are afraid to even guess what it is worth all about they eye of the beholder. So here are my thoughts not always good ones by the way but my number one thought is make it a keeper and I would not have bought that unless it was going to be a keeper and do what you gotta do I am not really sure without doing a Bruce job your going to get what you need out of it could be wrong.

Sounds like your already into it for $100 unless he cut you a better deal, it needs casters no big deal, can the grates be saved they were stainless I believe and were the originals since that smoker box requires a different grate on the left side not as wide. You need a regulator IMO see if someone has a stainless cover for the side burner if that can't be cleaned up which is a big turn off to a buyer the way it is. You got new flavoizer bars that is a plus did they give you the extra one which would cover the smoker box if you removed it as then you could just drop in a regular set of grates although if I remember Jeff from MA put a set of SS rods in his he cut one of them to fit.

No way to get around the wood that is what makes that grill again IMO then you need to bypass the flame check obviously are you just going to leave the button there which of course the buyer looks at it and says what is that for? Not sure that is a really big deal but its an obvious question which may not bother anybody. Again if I remember Jeff from MA swapped out the manifold obviously he had one that would support the side burner and used that control panel so the flame check button is gone if it was a keeper I would not bother since I know the button does not do anything.

Good luck tough decisions.

So I started taking it apart and found some interesting things like wing bolts holding the manifold. I was lucky and got them out without breaking and will have to replace with SS nuts and threaded bolts. A leaky adjustable regulator? I am not sure how I am going to handle the dumb flame check situation. The ideal solution is some how leave it in place so the knob can be there but bypass it or make it inactive some how. I may use one or both of the aux ports on the manifold. I started documenting in case others are interested or may need info in the future.
20210425_150156.jpg20210425_150348.jpg20210425_150843.jpg20210425_151447.jpg20210425_151453.jpg20210425_151500.jpg20210425_152125.jpg

The flame check may only need a simple sensor replacement. They usually have a copper tube with a "bulb" on the end. Something like on the pilot for a tank style water heater. I would look into that to try and preserve authenticity. I still say it is a 5 based on the drip tray> those drip trays went away by 93 when the x000 models came out. now that I think about it my original brochure showed a 5 photo and it had casters. So I still say a 5 based on the drip tray. I actually have the original one from my grill that looks like that under my deck
Looking at the photos just posted only confirms my original opinion

The flame check may only need a simple sensor replacement. They usually have a copper tube with a "bulb" on the end. Something like on the pilot for a tank style water heater. I would look into that to try and preserve authenticity. I still say it is a 5 based on the drip tray> those drip trays went away by 93 when the x000 models came out. now that I think about it my original brochure showed a 5 photo and it had casters. So I still say a 5 based on the drip tray. I actually have the original one from my grill that looks like that under my deck
Looking at the photos just posted only confirms my original opinion
I agree. Plus the sticker on the back panel says "Gen 5". I will keep it as much original as possible (also the cheapest way) but I hate that flame check. Having to hold that down for 30 seconds to light the grill is nuts. Then you have to keep the front burner on or the grill does not work. We will see what I can come up with. I want to preserve the valve and button though. Also the igniter is not the standard Weber collector. It is just a rod. I will take a pic and post

that is so cool i am glad you got it thanks for all the pictures and welcome to the 5 or 5000 club

Joe, I understand the dilemma about keeping it 100% authentic, but unless you are looking to sell it to a serious collector or something like that, I think I would bypass the flame check. Just leave the button. You could keep the thermocouple and connections and everything in case a buyer wanted those.

If ya think about it 1, why would you ever turn off the front burner? If you want to "smoke" something you need the front burner on as it is the natural progression/flow of heat and smoke in a Genesis (at least a good ol' REAL Genesis), and 2, it is a great safety device. I really wish more grills had them. Or something like it. I have spent many hours trying to actually figure out a way to ADD something like this to an existing grill

Back