I am restoring this Genesis 5 ....

Dang, that is one fine Genesis 5000 restore. The only thing I would change is to put a quality set of Stainless Steel solid rod grates on that baby. But, that is pure niceness.
Bruce , do the stainless steel grates make grill marks as nice as a pointed set of Cast Iron grates? Just curious

Ummmmm Probably not since they are more rounded. However, grill marks don't make your food taste better. Sure, it looks cool, but I am a bit more utilitarian, I guess.

If you value sear marks or "Grill marks", you might want to consider Grill Grates. There are some on here who swear by them and they do make some great "grill marks".

Dang, that is one fine Genesis 5000 restore. The only thing I would change is to put a quality set of Stainless Steel solid rod grates on that baby. But, that is pure niceness.
There are 2 reason for not going with SS rod grates. Since I tried to keep it as stock as possible I wanted grates that look like the originals. The other is I tried 7mm SS grates and there is too much space between them and even 9mm grates let you see too much of the fire box, flavorizers, and grease that will build up there. Not to mention that the 9mm bars would be special order from RC Planer and cost $$$. I checked the 9mm from Qulimetal and they don't fit this grill.

I don't know why everyone has the idea that Dave's grates are so expensive. I honestly think he's VERY reasonable. Heck he's half the price of Weber grates. Even when he made the very large and VERY custom set for my Wolf with special tight spacing they did not cost that much. (For his sake I will not divulge actual numbers) but IMO when I consider the fine workmanship and all that 304SS I was surprised at how affordable they were. Especially if you're buying for a "keeper".

I think I paid about $120 for mine including shipping, but that was three plus years ago.

Also, I would be surprised if that Genesis 5000 came with stamped ss grates.

Why would Weber cheap out on a premium grill like that. That is like a Cadillac without power windows
I don't know, but I figure the stamped SS is a step up from stamped porcelain steel. I also still can't decide what I am going to do with the grill. The thing looks awesome, but it takes up 5' and basically does the same thing my Q320 does. Believe it or not it is causing me a lot of angst. I want it because it is so cool, but would I even want to keep it outside and cook on it? I kind of want a museum to buy from me or something. I cleaned my Q up last night to try and get it hotter to make smash burgers and it is so simple and easy. It took me less than 15 minutes to scrape it down, remove, clean and replace the burners. The Gen 5 has 13 flavor bars.... I will have to do some testing on how hot it gets and how fast it does it. There is a lot of metal in the G5 to heat up.

Beautiful grill there Joe.
As per usual, this thread drifts off with grate talk.
Opinions on grates are like a certain body part...
everyone has one, and they all stink.
Joe, you seem to be in the position I find myself in all
to often. You simply can't keep them all. I would
need a warehouse store all the grills I would like
to keep. Parting with my Glen Blue Platinum was
not easy. Until the guy handed me the $$. That
softened the blow a little. Take pics, make a scrap
book, and send the unpractical grill for your needs,
down the road.
As for my worthless opinion on grates ... you already
know what to do ... stay original, stay cheap, as the
new owner will want something different anyway.

Back