I’m Not Buying A Blackstone Griddle

Phil Perrin

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Or, at least I had no intention of buying one!
But a quick trip into Tractor Supply to buy the pups a new dog bed changed that!
They had a Black Friday sale on the 17” for $99! And they just happened to have the display model left.
Oh what the heck, grab a cart and put that bad boy in there! Oh yeah, the dog bed too!
Dinner last night was thick cut pork chops, seasoned with a spice rub we bought at a farmer’s market that has espresso in it. Very tasty stuff!!
20DEC6DE-3F05-4F04-BB5D-D9DD0D87BAFD.jpeg669E85CF-A7E5-47E2-A08D-2E2F9B757CFD.jpeg
Sorry about the poor light, it’s an LED camping lantern!
Today’s lunch was sliders. Very nice crust from the griddle!
AF47D537-79FB-4A67-B341-FD031CDF4121.jpeg613B106F-5544-4173-82DE-B5E94C452881.jpeg
Oh yeah, the camper!
3BFDEB30-9C9E-4185-95B2-99D14D6CBEB6.jpeg
Thanks for looking everyone and Happy Thanksgiving!

You're going to love that when you are out with your tow behind, Phil! Hands down, it's my favorite camp cooking tool I've ever used.....versatile, relatively compact, and I've got a local place that will exchange the little gas cylinders for free for life. :)

Nice buy @ $99!

R

But a quick trip into Tractor Supply to buy the pups a new dog bed changed that!
They had a Black Friday sale on the 17” for $99! And they just happened to have the display model left.
Oh what the heck, grab a cart and put that bad boy in there! Oh yeah, the dog bed too!
Dinner last night was thick cut pork chops, seasoned with a spice rub we bought at a farmer’s market that has espresso in it. Very tasty stuff!!
View attachment 41271View attachment 41272
View attachment 41273View attachment 41274
Oh yeah, the camper!
View attachment 41275
Battleground park?

I may have to get me one of those griddles.

Always wanted one. Seen them for years really cheap. Costco always had them too. Now that I want/need/must-have,..... nope.
Congratulations on such a nice size and price.

Great buy Phil, most envious of your camping Thanksgiving, brings back memories of Thanksgiving camping at Stonyford

Phil, you will have a good time with your Blackstone. I love pretending I'm a hibachi chef and making a bunch of noise with the metal spatulas. This is one of my favorites to cook on the Blackstone.

View attachment 41334

I’m right there with you Pat! If you’ll do the fried rice, I’ll do the veggies and proteins…
E2BC377C-BB5D-458B-881F-6C57793B5AF5.jpeg
EB26971D-68CE-4A8C-88F2-E5701595EF15.jpeg

Congratulations Phil! You’ll get a lot of enjoyment out of your new Blackstone!

This actually fits in the storage compartment that I claimed for outdoor cooking stuff, so that's where it is. I'm going to sell my 15(?) year old Coleman single burner propane grill to make room for it.
I just bought the accessory hose to run it off of the campers propane(no more small bottles) and a dedicated scraper for it.
Next is the griddle spatula.
There is a US Food Chef Store here in town and they have fantastic prices on professional food service equipment! I think a trip there is in order!

I’ve got the 36” and while I’m not convinced it’s flat across the surface, it’s a cooling SOB! Really makes fantastic breakfasts. Haven’t done much for lunch or dinner yet

View attachment 41271View attachment 41272
View attachment 41273View attachment 41274
Oh yeah, the camper!
View attachment 41275
Enjoy your new griddle Phil!

I was gifted a 28" Blackstone.

What are some things it does better than other devices (gas grill, charcoal grill, or Lodge square griddle)?

I've never made hash browns before, so that looks like a good thing to try, and something I can't compare another time to.

I am fine with the way my pancakes come out on the Lodge.

However dosa is a little inconsistent. That might be better on the Blackstone than the Lodge.

Maybe grilled sandwiches? For now, I've made them on the Lodge, and used a large pot cover to contain heat from the top. The results have been ok to pretty good, but the Blackstone might be better as is, without a makeshift setup (like that pot cover lid that I use with the Lodge)?

Quesadillas?

Maybe I need to think a little bit about what I currently make on the Lodge, and what things would be better on the Blackstone, and what things I'd want to keep on the Lodge.

I'm sure these grills have their place, but after using a Blackstone last year, I decided against purchasing one after getting constantly splattered with hot grease while cooking burgers. I'm glad I wore an apron, but my arms didn't fare too well.

I'll take a Weber Q instead.

Back