How to sharpen knives?

Willie (Green Bay)

TVWBB Member
So i don't know much of anything about knife sharpening. We have 2 JA Henckels knives that are over 13yrs old that i actually got used from my previous employer. They were used for testing disposable cutting trays we were developing at the time. The edges at that time were already a little beat up, but now 13+ years later they are even worse.

My wife primarily uses the one on the left more because she likes the weight of it.

Based on the edges shown below, what's the best process or way to get these edges back into shape? is there a specific type of sharpening, technique or process i should research? Or are they to far gone for whatever reason?

Just thought i'd ask for some direction before i just start google'ing "knife sharpening".

IMG_2873.jpg
IMG_2874.jpg

I would take them to a sharpening service. Lots of sewing machine places seem to have someone that does it. Then invest in a good sharpening steel, and learn to use that. My father taught me to steel a knife when I washed it then put it away dry and clean, always at the ready when you need it.
Those are good knives and should last you many years with proper maintenance. Typically, I take a couple of knives to the shop every year or so, between the diamond hone and steel, I keep my knives in good working order, I’m using an “Old Hickory” 10” chef knife, that my Dad bought fifty years ago and a 10” Chicago cutlery chef knife that was my first kitchen tool buy, I bought that when I was 14 turning 63 this August and I still use that too but, the one that was my Dads is just special. I learned a lot from him. I miss him every day.

Yes, start with a sharpening service. I do disagree with Mr. Lewis, what he refers to as a "sharpening steel" is actually a hone, used to clean up the edge after sharpening or use. Yes, it is a useful device.

I picked up a WorkSharp belt style sharpener a few years ago, I could put a sharp edge on both of those knives in just a few minutes with it.

If you're considering picking up your own sharpener (there is a thread around here on this,) some of the electric wheel models will not grind all the way to the bolster on the knife on the left. The knife on the right would be questionable.

Go to a pro to get the edges rehabbed.

For maintenance, I use one of those $15 two slot Chefs Choice manual sharpeners. I put the knife through the second/finer slot every single time I pick up the knife. A lot simpler for me than doing the honing steel rod thing.

Yes, start with a sharpening service. I do disagree with Mr. Lewis, what he refers to as a "sharpening steel" is actually a hone, used to clean up the edge after sharpening or use. Yes, it is a useful device.

I picked up a WorkSharp belt style sharpener a few years ago, I could put a sharp edge on both of those knives in just a few minutes with it.

If you're considering picking up your own sharpener (there is a thread around here on this,) some of the electric wheel models will not grind all the way to the bolster on the knife on the left. The knife on the right would be questionable.

Sorry Mr. Kalchik, you are correct, it’s not really a sharpener at all, it is indeed a hone, just a slip of the digits!

I also would start with the sharpening service.
Then invest in a steel and a whet stone and learn to sharpen it yourself.
Uncle Sam taught me how to way back when and I still do to this day!

For years I've spoken about the benefits of waterstones and hand sharpening. So, this weekend I ordered the Ken Onion edition of the WorkSharp sharpener. Ordered the full package from the WorkSharp website. Being a KCBS member has its benefits... :)

Last edited:
One more vote for pay someone reputable to at least get them back in shape. I’d also recommend you ask them to sharpen to 15 degrees rather than 20 degrees, but that might just be me. Also the knife on the left is a “twins” knife, so it’s higher quality than the one on the right (single stick figure). We have both and there’s a noticeable difference. We have two Henkels 8” chef knives, a pro and a 4 star and they continue to be my go to knives; I just love them, so I say you scored. We also have wusthof and Shun premier knives, but those two 8” Henkel chefs are my favorites. I maintain ours with a simple two stage (dark and white rods) ceramic rod sharpener, nothing fancy.

I've always used a handheld grinder to sharpen mower blades clamped in a vise. I'm also used to mower blades in very sandy environments, the blades stay sharp for about 2 laps of the yard.

Another vote for the EdgePro Apex. I use is on everything other than straight razors and wood chisels.
I've taken some ridiculously horrid edges back to better than factory-new with the Apex.
Between sharpenings I use a steel and/or a ceramic JH Henckels tool for touchup.

Can't get my wife to understand that tapping the edge on glass is the easiest way to kill the edge... She keeps me busy.

Michael, I have a hard time getting my wife to understand that you cannot do everything with a paring knife!
But one of the bases of our relationship was “I have never dated a woman I could not outlook.” With her replying:
“Fine, here are the keys to the stove!” She has not had to cook a meal in almost 30 years!
And she loves me for it. Very few visitors are allowed to use my cutlery, I have bamboo, maple, ash and poly cutting boards, the glass one that her uncle gave me is simply for serving cheese.
The Edge Pro seems like an upgraded Lansky design. A buddy of mine has the Lansky and likes it a lot. Edge Pro is too rich for my blood but, since I maintain my edges pretty well I am not going to invest in a 2-300+ dollar sharpening system.
The sewing machine place six blocks away does a really good job for about $4.00 a blade. I probably should take a couple of knives over for their annual physical. My Dad taught me how to use a steel and I use it every time I wash the blade. Wash, dry, steel, and put away. There are a couple of blades that I have a hard time with (can’t figure out why) but, most I keep good and sharp!

Last edited:
Timothy, there's a non-zero chance that the knives you have problems with are made of an alloy that just won't take a good edge.

As far as the rest of you..... you're pointing out that I'm spoiled. My g/f knows that knives NEVER hit a hard surface, and don't go in the dishwasher (neither does my cast iron.) Sometimes I do need to be reminded of this.

I've always used a handheld grinder to sharpen mower blades clamped in a vise.
I do mine the opposite way; I move the blades back and forth across the bench grinder's abrasive wheel.

And since my main knives are a 30-year-old Chicago Cutlery set, they get sharpened the same way.:cool:

Back