HOW TO: Restore The Weber Emblem

J Grotz, that is some attention to detail. I don't bother trying to clean of the (R) marking. Oh and instead of replacing the little push nuts to keep the emblem on the grill, I just put a little RED High Temp RTV on the back of the emblem and paste it back on.

J Grotz, that is some attention to detail. I don't bother trying to clean of the (R) marking. Oh and instead of replacing the little push nuts to keep the emblem on the grill, I just put a little RED High Temp RTV on the back of the emblem and paste it back on.
Thanks, Bruce! I kinda went overboard at times, like with the badge, the manifold, the...

I used the red RTV, too. I had some leftover from my WSM22 gasket project.

I sprayed the red paint into a cup and then hand painted it with a tooth pick.
Holy cow! A toothpick?! That is hardcore. How long did that take 30 minutes?
Does look very nice, I'll be doing that one day soon, but I'll probably just use a small craft paint brush.

I used Q-Tips when I did a couple of them. But, I would think a small water color type brush would work great.

Is there something specific about the RED High Temp RTV, or would any of the other colors do the same for attaching the emblem?

The silicone makers usually color code their products according to the preferred use for them. Red just happens to be the high temp version. It could be pink as long as it is designed for high temp

I will just throw in that I have experimented with both high heat paint sprayed into a cup and a bottle of Testor's red model paint. (I also used Testor's white on one newer style logo to complete the match with Weber's current corporate logo.) The Testor's red looks a lot better in my opinion and with my Skyline that had both the red and white model paint, I never noticed ANY paint problem even after many cooks. The caliper paint I used otherwise was a darker red and just doesn't look as good to me. So for me, from now on, I will stick with Testor's and use a modeler/artist's brush to apply.

p.s. Painting the outside and W E B E R white was a royal pain involving many touch-ups. It was a cool finished product for personal use, but NOT really worth all the effort. The red kettle is what matters in my opinion.

SKYLINE WITH RED & WHITE MODEL PAINT
IMG_0374.jpeg

GENESIS SILVER A WITH MODEL PAINT RED KETTLE BUT REST RAW METAL

IMG_1814 (1).jpeg

GENESIS PLATINUM WITH CALIPER RED KETTLE AND BARE METAL LOGO

IMG_3858.jpeg

Jon, that does look good. I was skeptical that the model paint would hold up to the heat, but it looks like it does.

One thing to check out is some high heat clear gloss. If you finish up a badge and then spray it with high heat clear, it not only makes it nice and shiny (especially the red), but a side affect is that it turns the bare silverish aluminum border basically "white". I wish I had one to post a picture of, but I haven't done one for a long time.

I hit mine with 60 grit and that's it. I never go to a more fine sand paper. That 1000 grit seems to give it a more polished look. This was my last Genesis Rehab. No clear coat.20200605 Genesis 2000 Black Head 11.JPG

My emblem restoration pics, the start...View attachment 6886

Initial cleaning with simple green and sanding with 400
View attachment 6887

Two coats of gloss black high heat
View attachment 6888

Sanding with 400, then 1000
View attachment 6889

Testors Red enamel model paint
View attachment 6890

Final, three coats of high heat clear gloss
View attachment 6891

I think you and Bruce are right about the high heat gloss. Looks great! I will start using that. As always, thanks for the helpful tips!😎

I think you and Bruce are right about the high heat gloss. Looks great! I will start using that. As always, thanks for the helpful tips!😎
Thanks for the tip on the red Testors enamel model paint! Cheaper than the VHT spray paint.

I will just throw in that I have experimented with both high heat paint sprayed into a cup and a bottle of Testor's red model paint. (I also used Testor's white on one newer style logo to complete the match with Weber's current corporate logo.) The Testor's red looks a lot better in my opinion and with my Skyline that had both the red and white model paint, I never noticed ANY paint problem even after many cooks. The caliper paint I used otherwise was a darker red and just doesn't look as good to me. So for me, from now on, I will stick with Testor's and use a modeler/artist's brush to apply.

p.s. Painting the outside and W E B E R white was a royal pain involving many touch-ups. It was a cool finished product for personal use, but NOT really worth all the effort. The red kettle is what matters in my opinion.

View attachment 6720
My goodness that wood is beautiful. Do you have a post or write up for they wood refinishing? @Jon Tofte

View attachment 6720

GENESIS SILVER A WITH MODEL PAINT RED KETTLE BUT REST RAW METAL

View attachment 6721

GENESIS PLATINUM WITH CALIPER RED KETTLE AND BARE METAL LOGO

View attachment 6722
Jon, I keep coming back to this picture of the skyline you did. It's beautiful, obviously, but I'm wondering about the handle on the left side of the grill. I really like the way it looks. Do you think it would be ok to put one on a mere platinum series grill? If so, could you share a part # or what kind of grill it went to originally. Was there anything weird about mounting it to that grill. Any feedback is greatly appreciated !

Steve,
That handle is from the 2005-6 (and maybe a couple years earlier) Silver B and C. It is the same width as the earlier Genesis such as the older Platinum Series, so you can definitely use it. I like the way it adds a finishing touch and is also useful for moving your grill. Same for the matching right side piece that has the built-in tool hooks.

Thank you for your kind words about my Skyline project. It was hard to sell it, but I had to reduce stuff in preparation to move, and it went to a good home. If I had it to do over again, I would not use the extended frame. It makes for a very long and awkward to move grill. I never used the side burner the whole time I owned that grill.

Related post with additional info:

Last edited:

Back