How often should grates be replaced?

Monty House

TVWBB Pro
Given how much I'm BBQ'ing--and how increasingly difficult they are to clean--I'm considering at least a new top grate each year.

Monty,

I use oven cleaner in a plastic bag, also. I notice that it tends to pit the nickel-plated finish over time and little rust spots want to develop in those pits. But you can just scrub it off with a grill brush.

You don't have to replace grates until the rust is uncontrollable and comes into contact with the meat.

Regards,
Chris

My 18-1/2 kettle got its replacement grate when it was about 30 years old. The original had no nickel plating left, so I treated it like a cast-iron grate, wire brushed when necessary and always well oiled. I still have it (yes, I am that cheap).

I like to pick up new grates every yr or so when clearanced out at the end of the season. I haven't tossed out or replaced a grate yet, I just use these as spares when I need to soak a cruddy grate over-nite.

Tim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Larry D.:
My 18-1/2 kettle got its replacement grate when it was about 30 years old. The original had no nickel plating left, so I treated it like a cast-iron grate, wire brushed when necessary and always well oiled. I still have it (yes, I am that cheap). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm that cheap too. On my kettle the indirect side get's burned out really fast, so I do the same and keep it oiled and wire brush it.

I also keep my grates, as written before, they are seasoned. Brush them and keep a bit oil on. When I clean them I put in a water pan over night. Next morning I brush away the dirt - do this from time to time.

Alternative is to purchase stainless steel grates from Weber.

Difficult to clean?

After removing the pan so you get direct heat, clean the grates on the bullet just like you do on a Weber kettle. Use a wire brush to knock the crud off and paper towels to wipe the grease off. Lastly, oil if you've removed too much seasoning.
icon_biggrin.gif

Like Dave said! Put yer grates over direct heat and then brush them with a brass grill brush. Oil as needed. I only go farther than this once a year or so when I use oven cleaner. If you remove the middle section you can put the grates right on the charcoal ring!

My 2002 Vintage WSM's are on the original everything and they have seen a ton of use and lived outdoors in the Pacific Northwet for most of that time.

Back