How much time does it usually take to reach 250 degrees?

Mike Arnold

I just got the WSM 22.5 last Christmas and looking forward to using it this season.

I have a basic question regarding timing.
From the time I light the first chimney of charcoal, how much time does it usually take
before it reaches 250 degrees and I can begin smoking.

I'm sure the method I'm using (standard or minion) and weather conditions can cause it to vary somewhat,
but I was just wondering how much lead time I should plan for.

Thanks.
Mike

I plan an hour but it's probably more like 45 min from the time I start the chimney to getting a clean minion fire for cooking.

When I do a Minion Method start, I don't wait to reach 250*F. I put in the meat, leave the bottom vents open, and watch the temp come up to around 250 before I start adjusting the bottom vents. It can be about an hour to get to that point.

For example, take a look at this recent article and the temp chart about 2/3 down the page: Bone-In Beef Short Ribs. It's an example of what I just described.

I fill my charcoal ring to the top with fuel, with wood chunks mixed in.
I light it in three places with a high output propane torch.
I let it sit for about 15 minutes before putting the WSM together.
It's generally up to 250F within another 15 minutes, about 30 minutes total.
I do not use water, that is with a foiled water pan.

Last edited:
Varies for me. When I use royal oak and coffee can method, it usually took 30-45 min. Thats with about 20 lit briqs.

I switched to K.B. and accidently used 3/4 of a chimney of lit (can't guess how many are in 3/4 of a chimney). Dumped in the coffee can and it took 10 min to get to temps. Don't know if it was the quantity or the brand that caused the dramatic change.

Back