How Much Meat?

Mark Wilkerson

We are having 12 people over for BBQ. I have a 7lb boston butt but I'm afraid that isn't going to be enough. I was thinking there was a rule of thumb like 1/2 lb per person which would barely be enough.

Does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks,

Mark

I've always thought it was 1# raw weight per but then again it depends on how many sides, personally I'd try to get another 7# roast

Leftovers are a beautiful thing. Figure on about 30% shrinkage. There will also be a largish bone in each butt.

Last edited:
I think I am in the 1 lb per person camp. If someone eats a bit more and someone eats a bit less it balances out. If you have leftovers that's icing on the cake.

I think I am in the 1 lb per person camp. If someone eats a bit more and someone eats a bit less it balances out. If you have leftovers that's icing on the cake.

That sounds about right to me, too, Dwain. I nearly always plan on making more than we need and use the Food Saver and bag it for the freezer. Win-Win!

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Last edited:
Mark,
I think your estimate is for finished product. There is going to be a lot of shrinkage, so I would prepare a second butt. You may have some leftovers, but they can be frozen easily and served later.

If you have sides and other stuff, I figure 2/3lb per person uncooked for families (men, women, and children). 1lb per person if it's all hungry guys. Since I've never seen a 3lb butt, add another 7 pounder and you will have plenty with leftovers.

Remember leftovers = Enchiladas, Tacos, salads, sammies and all kinds of other good stuff. It's a good thing!

Back