How many bbq with a kettle vs the wsm?

DavidD

TVWBB Super Fan
Just curious as to how many of you exclusively use a kettle for ribs, butts and briskest vs a wsm, or how many at least use the kettle in addition to the wsm? I have found over the last 2 years that I don't use the wsm any longer. The kettle seems to work extremely well, capable of holding consistent burns for long periods of time. I'm starting to wonder if I even need the wsm.

I tend to load up the charcoal under one of the hinged sections of the grate and contain the charcoal with a row of bricks. This occupies appx 1/3 of the grill leaving tons of room for meat. Ribs fit better on the 22 kettle vs my 18.5 wsm too

My kettle (Performer) is the go to for every night grilling, but my WSM is what I use for smoking, low and slow. I just feel like I have better control of the fire in the smoker.

I agree with everything that Vern stated. I love my Performer for steaks, burgers, even the Thanksgiving turkey. It is great for high heat. My WSM is and always will be my goto for smoking. The low and slow heat control is great. Just my 20 cents worth.

I use the Kettle for any short cooks. I can see what you are saying for maybe ribs, But for cooking briskets or butt I think the wsm wins hands down. It's doable I'm sure but I don't wanna reload charcoal and the wind can be brutal on the Kettle.

I started out smoking on a kettle (when that's all I had) but the WSM is MUCH easier to maintain steady heat over a long cook for Ribs, Pork Butts, etc.

I have both and use them accordingly. I cut all ribs in half and use rib racks. I get more evenly cooked ribs (no over cooked ends, etc) and that works perfectly in both the 14.5 and 18.5 (and also the Mini-Joe).

I would REALLY hate to have to do without either the WSM's OR the Performers.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I love my kettles (22 & 26) but my best cooks, be it low heat or high heat are in my WSM

Well, I don't have a WSM so send me one and I will use it for a while and I'll file my report.
I have kettles, they do everything I need quite acceptably. Long smokes are not really in the mix because that's not what it's designed for. I let my brother do briskets.

I bought my WSM first, but if I had to do it over, I would've saved the money and just used my OTG.
My WSM just sits in storage now.

Use my performer and even my jumbo joe for most of my grilling needs. Use my WSM for all of my smoking needs and also for wings on the top grate without a water pan.

I started out smoking on a kettle (when that's all I had) but the WSM is MUCH easier to maintain steady heat over a long cook for Ribs, Pork Butts, etc.

I have both and use them accordingly. I cut all ribs in half and use rib racks. I get more evenly cooked ribs (no over cooked ends, etc) and that works perfectly in both the 14.5 and 18.5 (and also the Mini-Joe).

I would REALLY hate to have to do without either the WSM's OR the Performers.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I started out the same as you Dale and completely agree

I feel that a Performer and a WSM is the perfect setup actually. The WSM is such an awesome smoker and the Performer is an awesome grill. Between the two you can cook just about anything you want in the style you want.

When I first started I got the Smokenator for my OTG and it does a great job of controlling the temps low and slow but you have to monitor often and keep it full of water. Using a larger pan for the water helps but you still have to monitor it often. With the WSM it is pretty much set it and forget it.

Ok, good feedback, thank you. I need to dust off the wsm, it has literally been sitting unused for 3 years. The last 6-7 butts have been cooked on the performer and with much success but I do monitor it frequently. I don't mind the monitoring and don't find it hard to control temps on but certainly more work than the wsm. I haven't even uncovered the wsm in yrs so need to see how it has fared, hopefully I stored it properly

Ok, good feedback, thank you. I need to dust off the wsm, it has literally been sitting unused for 3 years. The last 6-7 butts have been cooked on the performer and with much success but I do monitor it frequently. I don't mind the monitoring and don't find it hard to control temps on but certainly more work than the wsm. I haven't even uncovered the wsm in yrs so need to see how it has fared, hopefully I stored it properly

Do whatever works for you. If you like using the kettle, keep using it!!!!

My kettle (Performer) is the go to for every night grilling, but my WSM is what I use for smoking, low and slow. I just feel like I have better control of the fire in the smoker.

Vern is spot on for me as well. I had plans to try a Slow N Sear on my Performer to see if I could sell my WSM but the more I thought about it that makes no sense. The WSM is so good at what it does as the Performer even if there are overlaps like ribs for both.

The difference is pretty simple, you CAN do most on the performer but, the WSM does, it's duties so much better. I say that not owning one but, I know that one grill, will never fulfill all the needs of a seasons feasting! I think it's time for me to have a WSM, I think an 18.5 should fit the bill nicely. My birthday is in August so, you have time to get one shipped to me as a surprise! Thanks to all of you in advance!:wsm:

When I got into this, I had no gear except a Weber gas grill, and I only had a few hundred to spend. I bought the Weber 26.75 inch kettle. I was assuming that if I wante dto grill and bbq on one piece of equipment, that was the way to go. I do ribs, chicken, pulled pork, have done prime rib many times. I can keep 250 for a few hours and not have to do anything (Minion method), but I can't keep it long enough to do pulled pork. It's harder, and more labor intensive, to smoke on that than on a WSM. But it works, and I would bet it's better for grilling than the WSM. If I had to choose again, limiyted to 1 item, I would get the same thing. Eventually I will get a dedicated smoker and just use the kettle for grilling. That big kettle comes in handy for parties and little league team cookouts.

In my experience kettle is not for looooooong cook. It could work very well (expecially my 2x26" Weber).
I prefer my BBQGURU WSMs which work like champs w/o human attendance for up to 15 hours.
Two different needs, imho.

Back