How do you pull your pork?

I used forks when I first started, but they constantly clog with pork. Bear Claws work OK, but rubber gloves work the best for me. You have to let it cool a bit, but a butt pulled too soon doesn't seem as good to me. I rest at least 1 hr. before pulling.

I agree with Steve........just a double thinkness of thin rubber or latex gloves (disposable) and you don't have to worry about the heat. Tear into large pieces.

Regular disp nit-rile gloves and some old heavy salad (serving) forks. The forks only have like three tines for separating than I finish pulling with the gloves. If done rite it will be no effort.:wsm:

Tim

I tried nitrile gloves, because they're a little heavier, but every box I've opened in the past few years has had a bad, residue type, smell so I stopped using them because I was concerned about "residue" getting in the food. I use disposable gloves for lots of cooking. Applying rub, handling hot peppers, handling meat. Yeah I use them a lot, but I have eczema on my hands so the less scrubbing with soap and hot water, the better off I am.

Steve. I get mine from my lady who works in a hospital. They have an Exp date then they have to clean the shelves and she brings surplus ones home to me. The older ones used to have a powder coating on them for folks that had a latex allergy. The newer ones are latex free and have no coating.

Tim

Thanks for all the advice. Maybe I'll get me some gloves. Although those bear claws look like fun.

Last edited:
Stone,

I tried lots of methods, but none of them were quick enough to keep the q hot when served and me not frustrated for all the time to pull for a crowd. I invested in a Roman Pork Puller, the thing that attaches to a drill, and I love it. I'm not paid to say this at all, just an incredibly satisfied consumer. I can reduce a butt, sans bone, to pulled pork in seconds. I pulled 6 butts recently with it, and had them in the pans, in 5 minutes. Sure, it costs $70, but the benefits to me are more than that. I'll never look back (no pun intended.).

I have done it with everything and decided I like doing it with just my plan old hands and no gloves the best.

Really, its mainly about feeling the meat and you can't do it any other way. Some parts like the money muscle, are best in chunks. Some is better pulled (lighter part). Some is better chopped (darker parts and tough bark)

I have done it with everything and decided I like doing it with just my plan old hands and no gloves the best.

Really, its mainly about feeling the meat and you can't do it any other way. Some parts like the money muscle, are best in chunks. Some is better pulled (lighter part). Some is better chopped (darker parts and tough bark)

I agree completely with pulling different parts by hand to the right consistency, but since the meat is hot I just use extra large disposable gloves over knit ones.

I think I have burnt off most of my heat sensors but I don't find it to be that hot. If its way hot I'll let it cool for a couple minutes after separating a couple spots with a fork.

I find carefully breaking up a butt greatly adds to the flavor. Maybe the most underrated aspect of good Que IMO.

I used the gloves recommended above for the first time today. They worked very well on pulled pork. I used to use two forks to pull, which is okay, but gets crampy and tiresome when you have two or four butts to pull. The gloves had enough insulation to keep the meat from burning your hands, but left enough wiggle room to pull it to pieces.

I bought two pair and will give one to a friend who also cooks.

http://www.texasbbqrub.com/bbqgloves.htm

Primarily forks, sometimes some hands are involved depending on the amount of pain in feeling at that point.

Going to give the bear claws a chance soon enough.

I use neoprene safety gloves from the corner hardware store. I have a pair dedicated specifically to BBQ. They're also handy for just taking the Q off the grill. I keep them clean by putting them on and 'washing my hands' with Dawn dishwashing soap.

Back