How do you pull your pork?

Stone

TVWBB Super Fan
I'm sorry, I'm sure this has been discussed, but I can't find it. Simple question: How do you pull your pork? I've tried the forks, but the pork gets caught in the tines immediately. I've tried chopsticks, but they don't do anything. I usually end up just using my fingers but (1) it burns and (2) I end up with kind of mush instead of clean pork fibers.

I use the Bear Paws (Claws?) sometimes (http://www.kck.com/bear-paws-bbq-meat-handler.html), but they can get things a little too fine if you're not careful. They can also be used to lift meat out of your smoker or grill, and for holding cuts of meat while slicing.

There are also insulated gloves you can get so you can use your hands without burning yourself. I think I'm starting to lean towards the gloves since you have better control on the finished product.

I have the bear paws too but still always use my gloved fingers. I feel I have better control over the end results.

Couple of forks work for me. I don't do pulled pork enough, otherwise I would invest in the bear claws or some insulated rubber gloves.

What Chad and Tom said. ^^^
If I cook the butts right I don't use my Bear Claws. Large disposable nitrile(?) mechanic's gloves over knit gloves works great.

I also meant to say that if pulling isnt easy, ie doesnt easily pull apart or too much fat left, you need to cook longer and/or slower.

With a fork and a knife. I much prefer a pulled-chopped combination. More emphasis on chopped - probably 70-30 chopped-pulled. Then little nuggets of barky exterior strewn about.

I let it rest in a covered foil pan for 1-4 hours depending how early it's done. If I need to wait more than an hour I wrap the pan in a big beach towel. I put on powder free latex gloves which help against heat and mess. I pull large hunks off and chop against the grain. 3/4"-1" chop maybe?

I used gloved hands.

IMG_0816.jpg

Two forks I'd the way to go! Gives you those bigger chunks and a few smaller bits. I've never liked chopped.

Is it just me or does chopped barbeque seem much dryer? I feel that reheated pulled pork is even juicier than the chopped kind. Maybe it's in my head, but pulled always seems more tender and moister.

I begin with bear paws which are especially nice when it's still hot. Once that's made the intital break up I put on my vinyl gloves and use my fingers to finish.

I use a canvas glove covered by a nitrel (sp?) glove and dig in. I don't like claws or the like because I really clean out the pork from anything left that is nasty (tendons, membrains . . .). I also have a knife and a cutting board handy to get some of the larger pieces down to size as I'm working through the butts.

Back