How about some good music links?

Taking the style of surf music to the next step of discussion, it would not be complete without bringing up The Beach Boys. I may have mentioned that I like to listen to other musicians interpretations of originals. I see "cover" music in two realms: total interpretation (changing time, intonation, keys, etc.) and actual replication (or as close possible.) If the latter, the artist better bring his A-game otherwise it will come across as a butcher-job. If a musician cannot do an original justice but is otherwise an accomplished musician, then do the interpretation. I know many will say that even if "true" they are all covers. I will concede that definition.

But if you allow me the latter of my take then I present The Fendertones... an almost too real cover band of The Beach Boys. Check out these lads.

Amazing of my impression of The 'Tones is look at how many musicians, artists and singer it takes to replicate the genius of Brian Wilson. Now granted, he had The Wrecking Crew (the west coast version of Muscle Shoals) when he recorded, but the reproductions indicate the complexity of Wilson's mind and ear. Imagine if Brian had not lost his hearing in his right ear (supposedly an literately by the hand of his father.)

Sloop John B

Heroes and Villains

God Only Knows
(Paul McCartney called this the greatest song ever written.)

California Girls

Surf's Up
(Brian's magnum opus in my opinion... love the double entendre of the title of the song- that being the meaning of the waves for the actual activity and Wilson saying goodbye to the pop songs written prior. Begone with "surf" music is what he was saying.)

Good Vibrations
(Decent cover, but if you would like a more critical analysis of this masterpiece then check out THIS VIDEO by Polyphonic. He REALLY gets into the "weeds" of his entertaining take of the composition.)

This video is incorrectly titled. "Clapton lucky enough to play with JJ Cale" is much more accurate. ;)

And the young man with the bottle slide appears to have a future.;)

Clapton would be the first to agree with this statement

That vid comes from a concert in San Diego, about 2007. The DVD is great.

Last edited:
I saw Doyle Bramhall at a small OKC venue a couple of years ago and was extremely disappointed. Mrs Dollar and I have come to the conclusion, after several times through the 2019 Crossroads Guitar Fest DVD, that he's a much better side man than leading a group.

We've seen him two other times, once with Sheryl Crow when those two were a couple, and with Clapton in OKC in 2013. We were excited to see him here and man, he just flopped.

I've been singing this all day, you know back to work.....all the regular co-workers ect.....
Anyways this is how I feel when I have to be at work again after 11 days off....... o_O

21 year old Lanie Gardner's version of Fleetwood Macs Dreams, on Tik Tok, went viral and landed her a record contract.

At first, I think this is a doctored , altered , fake video. But then no, 10.5 million views says this is real and she's just exceptionally talented. She even has Stevie Nick's raspy sound.

As I have mentioned prior that I like to listen to cover versions of popular tunes by lesser or unknown artists, these song are in that realm:

Puddles Pity Party.
I do not know this guy's schtick. He hides behind greasepaint but has a really good voice. He and his band are serious musicians.

Sound of Silence (closer to the Disturbed version over the original)
Puddles Pity Party - The Sound Of Silence

Creative mashup, I wish he would do a straight Scorpions song for comparison because of similarities to Klaus Meine
Still Loving You/Nights In White Satin - Scorpions Moody Blues

Very creative, but wacky mash-up:
Stairway To Gilligan's Island

Taking the style of surf music to the next step of discussion, it would not be complete without bringing up The Beach Boys. I may have mentioned that I like to listen to other musicians interpretations of originals. I see "cover" music in two realms: total interpretation (changing time, intonation, keys, etc.) and actual replication (or as close possible.) If the latter, the artist better bring his A-game otherwise it will come across as a butcher-job. If a musician cannot do an original justice but is otherwise an accomplished musician, then do the interpretation. I know many will say that even if "true" they are all covers. I will concede that definition.

I thought maybe you would enjoy this, happens to be one of my more favorite cover songs, I am sure you know this or for sure the original.

Since I just finished my first week on the job in over 8 months and my first 8-to-5s in over 22 years, I think I'll let The Hag put it into words:

(No, I do not have 9 kids. ;))

Here is another one for our friend that likes cover music. We all know the original, these well known guys turn it up to 11 in my eyes.

Back