How about some good music links?

I am not a fan of Heavy Metal. The many band names of this genre are foreign to me.

I find intriguing the times when a ballad from distortion ensemblers seems as if almost peaceful. Extreme’s “More Than Words” [1] and Triggerfinger’s interpretation of Lykke Li’s “I Follow Rivers” [2] come to mind. These bands are normally hard and loud sounding noisemakers. The step-down tones of the lighter songs referenced are actually quite enjoyable even though many who might find these tunes pleasing would not like other melodies produced by these bands.

I happen to listen to an interpretation by the band Disturbed of Simon & Garfunkel’s “Sound of Silence” recently. If one were to walk in on the last minute or so of this rendition, one might think the metal singer is just yelling. Perhaps he is. However, the build-up to those final seconds makes the hoarseness seem right. The operatic crescendo of David Draiman’s powerful voice increases almost subtly that the screaming may go unnoticed until the final verse contrasts and brings the rasp back to the measure and quiet of the melody’s inception. May I suggest that you close your eyes when listening to it the first time.

The Sound of Silence
Performed by Disturbed
Written by Paul Simon.

[1] More Than Words
Performed by Extreme. Written by Gary Cherobe and Nuno Bettencourt.

[2] I Follow Rivers
Performed by TriggerFinger. Written by Lykke Li, Bjorn Yttling and Rick Nowels.

In an interview David Draiman said he was really scared to do that song because he was afraid he wouldn't do it justice. I think it's one of the best song remakes I've heard. Powerful and done well.

I read that too.... and could not agree more that it is one of the best cover interpretations.
Some covers of classics that in my opinion are better than the originals are these two examples:

Stand By Me by John Lennon

Voodoo Child by SRV:
Stevie does tot he guitar what Neil Peart does for the drums)

A couple from Fastball, a band that never got as big as I thought they could've. And even though they're very different songs, they're both absolutely worthy of WDVU:

People I don’t know passing away rarely move me. In music, Chris Cornell and Stevie Ray Vaughn did. I still miss them. I can’t believe it’s 30 years this week that Stevie Ray passed. But today I’ve been listening to Cornell.

Yep, will be 30 years this coming Thursday.
I was fortune to see SRV in a small musical setting in 1984 after Texas Flood album came out.
What a guitarist! He musically becomes one with the instrument... his behind-the-back guiar picking is legendary!

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Texas Flood:

Heard this song this weekend, and it brought back memories from long ago when it was recorded by Jim Ed Brown in 1967. This was a good drinking song when I was in college. I've been on a medication the past week that I can't mix alcohol with, and today is last day.

Sooo tomorrow .......

Last edited:
I remember that song. My dad had that album back in the late 60's. I actually found it going thru my moms collection of his old C&W albums.
Nice memory Lynn!

So, I've seen this thread many times on the "new posts" feed, but avoided clicking on it. See, I like a genre of music that a lot of people don't like. And after scrolling through 12 pages, I confirmed that it's apparently liked by ZERO members here. Lol.

But, unfortunately I clicked... And, now I can't help myself and I have to post my music... And, it's going to ruin it for everyone else. Sorry guys.

Now, for the sake of trying to recover some semblance of good will from all of you, I will also post a video of a song I like from my youth, when it was a simpler time... (stares off into the sky...)

(Apologies if you have to suffer through a YT commercial first.)

It's pretty short and simple but it has great lyrics and is impossible to play too loud. Ahh, the '80s... ;)

So, I've seen this thread many times on the "new posts" feed, but avoided clicking on it. See, I like a genre of music that a lot of people don't like. And after scrolling through 12 pages, I confirmed that it's apparently liked by ZERO members here. Lol.

But, unfortunately I clicked... And, now I can't help myself and I have to post my music... And, it's going to ruin it for everyone else. Sorry guys.

Now, for the sake of trying to recover some semblance of good will from all of you, I will also post a video of a song I like from my youth, when it was a simpler time... (stares off into the sky...)

I'll admit I didn't listen to the whole song yet but what I heard was cool.

As for the second song. I listened to enough to know I like the original better.

Back