Hot Sauce as Sticking Agent

Lee Murrah

Does anyone beside me use Louisiana Red Hot/Frank's Hot Sauce/Tabasco as sticking agent for rubs? I tried yellow mustard, mayonnaise and vegetable oil, but I have been using hot sauce since recommended by a friend. It does not have the stickiness of the others, but it works well enough and imparts a good flavor.

Today I used it to stick Montreal Steak Seasoning to pork loin steaks, and the result was delicious.

Don't really need any "sticking" agent. The natural moistness of the meat allows the spices to "melt" and stick. I still use mustard as although it doesn't seem to impart any flavour of it's own to the the product but I like to think it contributes in it's own way.

I never use any sticking agents. Never had a problem with rubs sticking to my meat. Never had any meat where the rub does not stick. After just a minute or two after the rub goes on, the meat starts to sweat and the rub just naturally stays on. Then turn meat and do other side. Works every time for me.

I never use any sticking agents. Never had a problem with rubs sticking to my meat. Never had any meat where the rub does not stick. After just a minute or two after the rub goes on, the meat starts to sweat and the rub just naturally stays on. Then turn meat and do other side. Works every time for me.

I agree with you in principle but using a slather is just something to do. Hot sauce might actually impart something. I've never noticed anything with the mustard and I forget to do it about 80% of the time.

I've only used a slather, mustard, a couple of times, and that was to get my rub to stick to still frozen butts.

Bob, I can see on still frozen butts but have just never wanted to do it. Have seen man people doing it but I did not think it would add to the flavor profile I wanted. One question though, did you start that but cooking while it was still frozen?

I've only used a slather, mustard, a couple of times, and that was to get my rub to stick to still frozen butts.

I read somewhere that you should use a water-based slather, rather than oil. The point was that some spices do not dissolve in oil and just sit on the surface of the meat. Water-based slathers help the spices dissolve and stick to the meat. Seems to make some sense. I just use water in a spray bottle with some apple cider vinegar for pork and hot sauce for beef.

Jeff

Bob, I can see on still frozen butts but have just never wanted to do it. Have seen man people doing it but I did not think it would add to the flavor profile I wanted. One question though, did you start that but cooking while it was still frozen?
I, and many others who have used mustard, can't taste it at all in the finished product.
I would suspect much the same from a hot sauce slather.
Yes the butt was still frozen after a two day, in fridge, thawing period.
Here's my post from 6 years ago, but the pics have gone bye bye.
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?7120-Frozen-Butt-Smokin-Tri-cooks&highlight=frozen+butt

I used mustard or Heinz 57 for a while. These days I don't use a binder. I can imagine that the hot sauce would add another layer of flavor though.

I've used Sriracha Hot Sauce on the ribs ... good flavor .. family loves it, so will be doing it again.

I've also used Dukes mayo as a binder and gotten amazing results with the ribs. Try it!

I'm in this boat

I don't use anything to make rub stick. I don't mop anymore. I rub. I smoke. I pull adding more rub to the pulled meat. Thats it. Im nobody by the way:wsm::wsm22: I did 2 butts like this the other day and they turned out great. I did wait for the thin blue smoke.

i have not done that , but I am totally stealing that idea next time I do chicken....and maybe even pulled pork. great idea.;)

I read somewhere that you should use a water-based slather, rather than oil. The point was that some spices do not dissolve in oil and just sit on the surface of the meat. Water-based slathers help the spices dissolve and stick to the meat. Seems to make some sense. I just use water in a spray bottle with some apple cider vinegar for pork and hot sauce for beef.

Jeff

Ive read the same.
So I use only water as sticker

Back