Hot and Fast Chicken on the WSM

Bill French

TVWBB Fan
Decided to try the "Hot and Fast Chicken" method on the WSM found here: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/chicken4.html

I was very pleased with the results, it had the best skin that I've done. A few pics...

14609157240_a40936850a.jpg

Removed the water pan. Cooked skin-side down for 30 minutes then flipped and cooked for another hour. Used a chimney and a half of coals with all vents wide open...

14792738411_fd62e79afc.jpg

Bill, great looking chicken. I did the same and found it to be the juiciest chicken I ever grilled.

Thanks TomH and Chuck0 for the kind words. Wish I would've bought a WSM years ago, would've saved me a lot of grief!

Bill your chicken looks good enough to eat! We don't see halves done like that very often.

The question is...Did you like it better then low and slow? I prefer a spatchcock chicken hit hard over a slow and low any day!

I tried the hot n' fast method last week. While the skin was rubbery, it wasn't crispy either. I plan to give it another whirl soon. I love "BBQ'd" chicken. But I haven't become very good at cooking it myself yet.

I tried the hot n' fast method last week. While the skin was rubbery, it wasn't crispy either. I plan to give it another whirl soon. I love "BBQ'd" chicken. But I haven't become very good at cooking it myself yet.

Did you leave the pan out like the OP did? That's more important than the temp in my experience.

Bill, the chicken looks outstanding!

Back