Honey Cured Bacon

Jerome D.

TVWBB All-Star
This is my fourth time making homemade bacon, and I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. For this batch, I used the recipe from Michael Ruhlman's Charcuterie book for Maple Cured Bacon, and substituted honey in place of the maple syrup. Thanks for viewing, and have a great week everyone!

Here are pics of the uncooked pork belly after one week of curing. Smoked on the Performer at 180°F using Basques Nature's Own Maple Briquets with a few chunks of cherry wood. Removed from the grill after reaching an internal temperature of 150°F.

The slab of bacon took on a nice mahogany color. I fried a few test slices from the odd-shaped end pieces and was pleased with the results - a nice balance of salty, sweet, and smoky. I'll be giving half of this batch, along with portions of my previous batches, to my brother in law as a Christmas gift.

Good looking bacon Jerome. You just can't beat the homemade bacon. I just finished a 1/3 slab with a slurry of brown sugar and pure maple syrup smoked with maple that came out excellent. It's fun trying different combinations.

That looks great, Jerome. Once again, you found some great meat as a starting point.....does your butcher want to start a satellite business out here?? :)

R

Great job Jerome!!! Home made bacon is the only way to go. Since Rich and I have been doing it for over a year and I won't eat any other. By the way if your giving samples out I'd be happy to take some!!!!!:D

Back