Herb Crusted Prime Rib Question

Ryan.M

Hello All (First Post, So Please Forgive),

I was looking at the "Herb Crusted Prime Rib" Recipe . http://virtualweberbullet.com/ribroast1.html

I have a few questions:

1. Do I need to follow the regular charcoal fire up instructions as I normally do and put the bullet together and wait till the temp reads 400 on the lid temp gauge? This is the first recipe on the site that I have noticed that the lid temp starts at 400.

2. I have a local butcher who I called and their price for the Prime Rib is ridiculous, at least I think. Is there really a big difference in taste from a local butcher vs. a grocery store (a high end store). The price difference is making think about where to buy the Prime Rib. I usually try and buy locally/small business but it’s a 50% price difference $10 a lb. vs $15 a lb., plus 30 minute travel.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:
You don't need a prime cut. I typically make the recipe when prime rib goes on sale at our local grocery with fabulous results. Take a look at the prime rib selection article, it will help you pick the best piece.

You don't need to wait until lid temp is 400 but I typically like to get my wsm to target temp before cooking. You may have a hard time reaching that temp. A couple of tricks are to put a small stick between the door and the cooker to increase air flow and removing the water pan.

Enjoy, it's a great recipe!

I had great success w/ L&S reverse searing process.
2 to 3 hours @200-210F till 124F.
Then in double foil e double blanket till dinner time.
Few minutes earlier a quick outdoor or indoor searing action (2 min x side) and serve.
No "mouse ring" at all.
Just pink coadt to coast!

Jeff,

Thanks for the help. Just to be clear when you say get the WSM to the target temp, are you talking the lid target temp or the internal meat target temp?

at the lid, so I like to get the temp to 400 before putting the meat on. for me, that means starting the fire about an 30 mins before the meat goes on. If you have never cooked without a water pan, you do need to keep an eye on the thermometer as the temp can move around a lot without a heat sink. After about three years of cooking on the wsm, I bought an automatic temp controller, which makes getting to temp a snap,

Jeff,

1. get WSM to 400 at the lid without the waterpan (but with the grate in it?)
2. once at 400 then add the waterpan back.
3. put roast on grate (grate will be 400) and cook according to the instructions.

** In the midst of opening and closing the lid will I then have to wait for the lid to get to 400 again after adding the water pan back or just go with what it is at that point? **

Is that correct?

Thanks,

Last edited:
Ryan,
First, welcome to the forum!
Second, please don't take this the wrong way but you are way overthinking this cook.
Notice that Chris says to cook the roast at 325-350 then proceeds to cook it mostly at 360.
300-400, it's all good since your only real worry is pulling it 5 to 10 degrees below your target for doneness before the rest period.

I agree w bob but I do think you might have a hard time getting the wsm up to 350-400. Adding the water will cause the temp to drop, I'd just line the pan with foil and try to keep it in the 325-375 degree range. just keep an eye on it, you'll be fine. I'd probably do a trial run before I served it for xmas but this is a really great holiday dish. if you follow the recipe and keep an eye on pit and meat temp, you're going to be very happy.

also ryan, as you point out, prime rib is an expensive cut, if you haven't done much cooking on the wsm, common wisdom is to start with a pork butt or two.

best,

Last edited:
Remember that those charts showing cooker temps are showing what happened to me, not what you are trying to replicate. For that particular cook, my empty WSM was at 400*F with an empty water pan. I put the meat in the cooker and it started headed down toward the 350*F I was looking for. You'll notice I never closed any of the bottom vents; I could have (should have) to drive the temp lower into the 325-350*F range I discussed in the article.

Just get two Weber chimneys of hot charcoal into the bowl as described in the article. Put the empty water pan into the middle section. Put the top cooking grate in place. Put the middle section onto the bowl. Put meat on the grate. Add some smoke wood to the fire. Keep the top vent open. Adjust the bottom vents to run 325-350*F. Cook to your desired doneness. Rest meat after cooking and enjoy!

Good luck Ryan!

chris, I thought you had intentionally started at a higher temp to help crust the herbs. What turned out to be an accident, I viewed as a cooking tip!

:)

best,

Back