Help with identification?

JBaker

TVWBB Super Fan
Picked this what looks to be a Silver B up from a friends house, I'll be doing some repairs for him.
It's been played with before, primarily the supports for the underpan.
I'll attach some photos from what I can best describe as my potato-phone...looks like I may need to clean the lens of the rear camera.

The pic of the Model/Serial is the best I have. I have pulled the grill apart, and started washing pieces and parts in Dawn dish soap. Using just a regular sponge, without hard scrubbing, most of the info on the label (and indeed most of the label graphics) has washed away. I'd like to be certain of the Model and Serial # for ordering the parts I'll be needing. Can the experienced among you help to be sure of the correct info?

A couple of other questions:

The valves were quite sticky, not easy to depress and turn. After getting the manifold out of the assembly, and in anticipation of rehabbing the valves, I sprayed some rust penetrant on the philips screws, leaving them until tomorrow for disassembly. Must have sprayed the shafts too. Now the shafts depress without issue, and no bind on the rotation. Will that be an issue? Should I continue with the disassembly of the valves and a regrease? Or if they are free, appear to be working properly, shall I just leave them alone?

Body bottom. I was able to heat up and gently remove one of the four tapered screws that assist with securing the drain pan. The other three were damaged, unable to get a tight socket, vise grips, etc on them. I have ground them flat at this point, expecting to drill and easy-out. Are there other ideas?

Overall this grill is in good shape. The bottom wire grid is solid, the frame itself is quite steady, just needing a bit of wire brushing and repaint.
Will need new grates (the cast iron originals have rotted through), most likely new flavorizers. A few nuts and bolts here and there.

I'm not planning on this being a true restoration, but would like to get it back in use for the owner.

All help greatly appreciated.

And oh by the way, longtime visitor to the TVWBB sites, but previously charcoal only.

Attachments

• Serial Number.jpg
    Serial Number.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Underside Base.jpg
    Underside Base.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Manifold.jpg
    Manifold.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 27
  • Replacement Brackets.jpg
    Replacement Brackets.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Pre-Clean.jpg
    Pre-Clean.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 24
And yeah, the casters need to be replaced. I wasn't able to flip it over as yet to try to knock them out and determine correct replacements.

You probably want to do a valve lube job on the valves. Where is the extra burner if it is a Silver C? Do you still have it.
When you order parts, don't just call weber and pay weber prices. Many of the parts can be had with as good or better quality for much less.

Here are a few links you should check out before you get too far into your rehab:

Chris, many thanks for taking the time to decipher what was left of the identification numbers. The year certainly sounds correct. I'm still trying to wrap my head around what the differences are between B and C models, side burner designs, closed bodies, etc. The casting does indeed show as "C-Silver B". Does that infer that this casting could be used for both the B and C models during that model year?

Bruce, also many thanks. I'll get the valves apart and lube them up for the next 20 years. Hopefully the brass screws won't give me the same problems as the tapered screws in the bottom. And yes, I do have the side burner, it's in great condition with the exception of the piezo. The sheet steel porcelain is cleaning up nicely with a few doses of Easy-Off. The composite side table and lift also are looking better with just a soak in Dawn dishwashing liquid.

Thanks for the links, I've been through all of them over the past couple of months, most more than once. Early January I picked up what looks to be a later Silver C with the SS enclosed base that I plan to rehab in the spring. That is on loan right now to the owner of the grill detailed in this thread.

The original grates are cast iron, the flavorizers are porcelain covered steel. These will be needing replacing, the grates have rotted through and the flavorizers are ragged. The casters will need to be sourced. Probably both piezo assemblies, for grill and side burner. I'll be doing a bit of wire brushing and painting of the problem areas of the cart assembly. Swing basket is missing also.

I'll update as things progress. We've had a couple of very nice days here in the NorthEast, able to work outside. That's going to change quickly over the next couple of days.

And I'll clean up my phone, to see if I can get better pics along the way.

Many thanks to all again.

Late to reply, but while it is a great thing to do the thorough lubrication job in Chris's very helpful video (and big thanks to Larry for the procedure), there is a risk that a screw will strip. Since it seems to be working fine as is, I would leave well enough alone.

My vote for flavorizer bars for this grill is Qlimetal, but there are other very good choices as well.

For grates, it is all up to how much you want to spend. If you have time to read through this, here are the results of an extensive comparison I did last year:

Bruce, again thanks for the info and links. Today I picked up a "universal" piezo replacement kit from Ace Hardware, they seem to like to give ma a couple of $5 off a $20 purchase each month. The kit with some stainless hardware to replace the rusted items got me over the threshold. The kit seems like it'll work out, I cobbed it up with some of the original pieces so the side burner still has it's own igniter.
I've got the casters in the basket, waiting to hit the $25 target for free shipping.
And I think I'm going to go with cast iron grates, as it came with originally. If it was my own grill I'd spring for the rcplane goods. Need to measure the originals again before I place the order.

I tried my best to get the tapered bolts out of the underbelly with limited success. I eventually decided to make my own modifications. I don't feel too bad about it, it looks like the owner made some of his own (I'm betting it was his dad that did it) using mending straps that eventually rotted and flaked apart (visible in one of the original pics posted). So, all of you purists, don't tar and feather me please. I'll be ordering a new grease catch assembly with the casters and grates.

Attachments

• IMG_20200305_135714700_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200305_135714700_HDR.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20200305_142750111.jpg
    IMG_20200305_142750111.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20200305_142759661_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200305_142759661_HDR.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 10
Yah, those slide rail screws can be a pain. It looks like your fix will work. I agree it is probably better than whatever they had on there before.

Catch pan, casters, grates are all on order. Should be here by Tuesday next week.

Thanks again for all the help.

Update, 3 weeks later.

Wish I took some pictures....

I returned the grill to the owner today and retrieved my "new" gasser from him. More on the "new" later.

I ended up turning what he was going to toss to the curb into a grill that should last another 10 years. I did end up disassembling the valves, cleaning and lubing, getting them back together. They work like new, and were the easiest part of the repairs. The instructions on this forum certainly provide the confidence to undertake the repair.

New casters, new grates (correct size verified before ordering), new Weber OEM piezo (the Ace Hardware unit was junk, at least for this application). New drip pan assembly and disposable aluminum pans. More than a few assorted stainless nuts and bolts.

I documented earlier what I had to do with the bottom catch panel. Not pretty, but you need to really look to notice it.

Biggest problem was the grates. Due to the body of the grill "bowing" an actual 1/2" front to back the grates were not stable. I ended up installing a 3/8" threaded rod front to back just under the grate shelf, pulled the front and back in what was needed with washers and nuts. Not for the purists I know, but this grill was indeed destined for the scrap heap, I gave it a few more years.

Side burner now lights, no issues with the 3 East/Wests.

A little paint here and there, nothing fancy, just to kill the rust for a few years.

Works like new. Not quite as pretty as new, but hey.

Starting a new thread for my original find of early January.

Thanks for the assistance earlier.

Hey, Jbaker; You wan't get and flak from me. If you patch up your grill and it works, I don't see a problem. As long as the fix doesn't involve duct tape, I would say "well done".

I did pick up a SS Platinum that had the bottom so rusted out, that he duct taped the leg to floor. And actually, it was working.

Hey, Jbaker; You wan't get and flak from me. If you patch up your grill and it works, I don't see a problem. As long as the fix doesn't involve duct tape, I would say "well done".

I did pick up a SS Platinum that had the bottom so rusted out, that he duct taped the leg to floor. And actually, it was working.
Just remember "if the women don't find you handsome make sure they find you handy" "Keep your stick on the ice"

Back