Help with Beef Ribs

John Sully

TVWBB Fan
I picked up a 3 bone slab of beef plate ribs from Wildfork Foods, about 6 lbs., I want to smoke them on my WSM 22 on Saturday. I have Killer Hogs AP rub and the plan was to smoke them with red oak and cherry at 250 degrees. I'm undecided about wrapping or spritzing and how long it might take. I would appreciate any and all help and suggestions. Thanks !!

I picked up a 3 bone slab of beef plate ribs from Wildfork Foods, about 6 lbs., I want to smoke them on my WSM 22 on Saturday. I have Killer Hogs AP rub and the plan was to smoke them with red oak and cherry at 250 degrees. I'm undecided about wrapping or spritzing and how long it might take. I would appreciate any and all help and suggestions. Thanks !!
what would you use for the wrap?

Wrapped or unwrapped is pure personal preference, John. I've done both, have enjoyed the results on both, and prefer wrapping with pink paper after about four hours. My beef rib cooks take about 8 hours, though I tend to cook them at 225F, so you will go faster at 250F.

Get ready to enjoy them! One of my very favorite things to come off any of my smokers!

R

Wrapped or unwrapped is pure personal preference, John. I've done both, have enjoyed the results on both, and prefer wrapping with pink paper after about four hours. My beef rib cooks take about 8 hours, though I tend to cook them at 225F, so you will go faster at 250F.

Get ready to enjoy them! One of my very favorite things to come off any of my smokers!

R
Thanks Rich, this is my first try at them.

I don't wrap beef ribs, which may be about the easiest meat to smoke. I plan on about 5 or 6 hours and cook them to probe tender. I spritz about once an hour with 1/2 ACV and 1/2 water.

I agree with Lynn. 250 for six hours, probe tender. I like pecan smoke on mine. No spritz/ wrap for me. Love beef ribs, number 1 request at my house. Enjoy

275 for around 5 hours.
Can go slow if you want.
Probe tender and shrinkage down the bone.
I usually wrap near the last hour or two if in a hurry, and I remember.
The oven works too. If you need to hurry them up when wrapped. Throw in oven pish heat a bit, voila.
And yes, you willl like them

The only thing to gain from wrapping beef ribs is to speed up the cook, IMO. And its not a long cook, like pork butt or brisket.

They're going to develop bark like a brisket. And I would never wrap a brisket after three hours. The longer they're on the smoker unwrapped, the better the bark.

Only reason I wrap is to tenderize them I’ll drop a couple spoonfuls of beef broth in there wrap them and let them sit there after three hours they’ve got plenty of bark and plenty of smoke

Attachments

• 28CDC9D8-D10A-48AB-A523-7A6139FC970E.jpeg
    28CDC9D8-D10A-48AB-A523-7A6139FC970E.jpeg
    111.8 KB · Views: 4
I'm actually smoking beef chuck/dino ribs with four bones right now. Using temps on beef ribs might not be the best call, but that's what I'm doing for now. I've usually wrapped at around 185 when the bark is pretty set and added some tallow to the wrap. My plan for today is to rest them overnight in the over at 145 to eat for lunch tomorrow.

I'm partial to just salt/pepper for ~all of my beef cooking (outdoors at least) but to each their own.

Definitely cook at at least 250*. My one misbegotten rib adventure at 225 never got above 185 after about 12 hours. The top layer of meat was pretty pulled back, but the layer next to the bones didn't catch up all the way. Could just be my particular cooker, but large beef cuts and 225 just don't seem to mix for me.

I'm actually smoking beef chuck/dino ribs with four bones right now. Using temps on beef ribs might not be the best call, but that's what I'm doing for now. I've usually wrapped at around 185 when the bark is pretty set and added some tallow to the wrap. My plan for today is to rest them overnight in the over at 145 to eat for lunch tomorrow.

I'm partial to just salt/pepper for ~all of my beef cooking (outdoors at least) but to each their own.

Definitely cook at at least 250*. My one misbegotten rib adventure at 225 never got above 185 after about 12 hours. The top layer of meat was pretty pulled back, but the layer next to the bones didn't catch up all the way. Could just be my particular cooker, but large beef cuts and 225 just don't seem to mix for me.
Please let me know it turns out.

Unfortunately my son had to work today and my wife is not feeling well (not covid thankfully) so the beef ribs stayed in the freezer. I will try again next weekend.

I just finished a beef rib cook on Thursday. Mine were individually cut (despite my instructions to the slaughterhouse), so cooking time was reduced. I did a rub using SPOG, and smoked them over maple for about 4 hours. Used a drip pan with water for moisture. Very nice bark, good smoke ring, and delicious.

Didn't wrap or spritz. A wrap at such a short cooking time really isn't necessary, though next time I'll probably spritz — for a little moisture and a little tang to the crust. They were good, but they could always be better!

Back