Help finding grates

Adrian -- that grill has a set of three grates, right?

Are all three of the grates that you have completely shot?

If not, you could get a few panels of GGs to replace just the worst part. Or get one or two grates (SS or CI) from a donor grill. Or have one part be a griddle.

Especially on a grill that wide, it would be just fine to have the cooktop broken up into a mix of griddle, GGs, SS and/or CI.

Since your grill lacks a sear burner, I think you could really use a section of griddle or GGs as a sear zone. And then have the rest be CI or SS grates for indirect use.
Mixing and matching cooking surfaces works. You can stack the cooking surfaces as long as you don’t completely seal the cooking area. You probably don’t need a uniform cooking surface on a grill that big.

UPDATE ON DAVE SANTANA/"rcplanebuyer":

Member Roy told me in a PM that he contacted Dave Santana through eBay (his Craigslist ad is not up right now). He said that Dave told him that he was not currently making grill grates due to supply issues and that his prices would likely have to go up substantially when materials become available. I was afraid of that:(.

Yah, that is what I was afraid of as well. The good thing is that I already have a set of his grates will last me until I am no longer able to lift the grill lid any more.

My set are earmarked for the Summit I bought from Larry which is currently in pieces all over my office and shop!

I have a set of their stamped stainless at the time paid like 45 bucks for them of course everything has gone up they make an excellent product I put them on a 1000 that I gave to my daughter 3 years or more and they are holding up just fine. Not like my son in law would notice the difference in $150 grates. :)

I have QuliMetal Stainless Rod grates on my Silver C but I don't see Stainless on Amazon anymore they were a very good value but if you want to buy American then bbqparts.com is an excellent company.

I did hear back from Dave Santana / rcplanebuyer, and while he confirmed that he no longer had the materials for the stainless steel grates, he did still have flavorizer bars for my Genesis 1100 in stock. I don't know how many additional sets he might have, but but there may still be some available for those that are interested.

And the bbqparts.com grates did arrive, and I agree with the others that these are a heavy-duty and high quality choice.

Yah, the thickness on them is not nearly enough to be used as a cooking grate and man would that every be a nightmare to clean. Plus, they are plain steel and you can count on them rusting.

Agree. As I think LMichaels said, the grate is the surface you actually deal with when you're cooking. It's one of the more important parts of the grilling experience in my opinion. I like the Genesis 2000 so much because I can do zones and it does have even heat output, I'm still not used to having no "hot part" of the grill. That said, with subpar grates it just sullies the whole experience, even if you do have a "hot part". Recently we were at a family friends' house, and they asked if I would grill the steaks. They had a tin can grill with a grate that felt like a flimsy cookie cooling rack or something. It was so bad that I rehabbed a 1000 for them, complete with cast iron grates. They are impressed with the Genesis, and have already said how much better it is than their old grill. But cast iron grates will give you that sturdy feel when you're handling your food. Same with RC rod grates, which I currently use. I like the stainless because those grates are burly like cast iron but easy to clean with the chargon, and I know that they will never rust, there will never be any damage to them due to how sturdy they are, and the quality of the stainless. Anyhow, for any other parts like burner tubes or flavorizer bars, I personally have no problem with less expensive options, but the grates are where, for one's personal grill, I would advise being a little spendier.

Has anyone ever acquired expanded metal grates (like these from Home Depot) and simply cut them to the exact size of a particular grill?

We used this type of material on a barbeque we made for a company picnic. It's plain steel (unplated) and works ok for it's intended purpose. Many of the mobile bbq guys with custom bbqs use this type of grate. It will rust unless seasoned and will sag if you get it too hot and will get wavy if you don't frame it.. Not a good option if you're OCD about clean grates, either.

Last edited:
We used this type of material on a barbeque we made for a company picnic. It's plain steel (unplated) and works ok for it's intended purpose. Many of the mobile bbq guys with custom bbqs use this type of grate. It will rust unless seasoned and will sag if you get it too hot and will get wavy if you don't frame it.. Not a good option if you're OCD about clean grates, either.

Ed is exactly right, I have several smokers with expanded metal grates and they work ver well. They will warp when used on a grill however. I had to replace the expanded metal grate on my Santa Maria grill with stainless steel rod.

I agree that grates are the last thing you should skimp on (besides any safety concerns). Even if you can't swing the all-out solutions like Dave Santana/rcplanebuyer, you can at least find some deals on imported 7mm 304 stainless rod grates. No, they won't be as good a Dave's by a long shot, but they will work adequately and a lot better than expanded metal (save that for a low and slow smoker) or really cheap grates.

Back