HeaterMeter v4.0 for RaspberyPi / Standalone

I ordered my PCB on 11/26 and am still waiting. Hopefully they'll crank out another stack of them soon.

I (and hopefully everyone else with a order) got a email from Laen about this. I had ordered a HM 4.0 board using the "store" interface (not uploading the gerbers) around Thanksgiving, and today he said:

"I expect to have the next batch back from the fab on Monday, shipping on Tuesday. This'll cover everyone who's ordered through December 15th. On January 10th, another batch will come in that will cover all the rest (with lots of extras)."

So it sounds like he's clearing the backlog...bottom line is that it was just the holidays interfering. Things should be back to normal now.

I too want a way to easily save the graphs to an image file without having to do a screenshot. The issue is that Flot 0.7 (the javascript graphing library) uses text outside the canvas for all the labels. This means the graph has no labels when converted to an image. Someone has fixed this in the 0.8, which just got labeled as alpha. I would have switched to it earlier but 0.8 broke date/time custom formats which we use and I was waiting for that to be fixed. I'm not sure what their release plans are though, so I can't say when it will be in the LinkMeter package.

Sounds good. It's not that big of a deal if I can't save it (except for a screenshot). I was just wondering if I was missing something.

Where do I find sources? I can see binary image available but I am planning to add push notification for iOS and need access at source level.
Thx

Push notification for iOS sounds like a great addition to this project!

I think so :)
Initially, it will be a very basic app with notifications, later on additional features will be incorporated. The only challenge will be notification server, as it needs to be centralized otherwise users will have to have their own certificates from apple meaning a $99 development account.

Does anyone know of a suitable replacement for the 10k trimmer resistor on the hardware list? Seems as though they are out of stock at Mouser and Digikey, and backordered until at least February.

Just an update on my woes, I finally had time to try and diagnose my issues with my HM and I think I discovered the issue. In the process of desoldering the various parts that I did not order multiples of, I discovered that solder actually flowed through the holes and formed a bridge between 2 of the legs of the 16mhz resonator. I could not see it as it was on the back side of the legs between the resonator and the socket, quite hard to see until I unsoldered the resonator and pulled it off the board. Obviously that would cause all sorts of issues! Now my question is, do I need to replace any other parts? Would that bridge have caused any of the other parts on the board to eat themselves? I only ordered 1 each of the DIP-16 74HC595, ATmega328P chip, MOSFET, resonator, LCD & 5V regulator board at the time since they were the higher cost items, most everything else I ordered enough to do all 3 boards since the cost difference to do so was basically pennies. If I need to reorder some of these parts than I will but I hope I don't have to.

Iiii don't know! One leg is ground and the other is attached to the oscillator input of the ATmega but I know the ATmega has to start the oscillator somehow so it must give it 5V somewhere along the lines. If it was shorted, there's a good change it just wasn't ticking so the CPU wouldn't run. I don't know enough about how that stuff works to say if it can make something go bad or not. I can say that all the other parts should be good. The 5V regulator has overcurrent protections, the mosfet, LCD, 74HC595 and resonator wouldn't have been exposed.

It was shorted from one of the outer legs to the center leg, which I think is the ground, so it was probably doing all sorts of wonky things. I guess I will throw it all back together on a new board and see what happens. I never had 12v hooked up to it so that may be a good thing I guess, although it still only should have seen 5v anyway. I have never had solder flow through and bridge on the back of a component like that before, apparently I got a little too generous with the solder, I'll certainly be more careful the second time around.

Got it all put back together on another board last night, fired it up and everything worked perfectly. It was still acting up when I first started it, no comunication, and lagged real bad when trying to navigate the menu from the board itself, so I was worried, but decided to try to flash hex file and it worked!! Once it flashed all was well, and it worked perfectly, navigating the menu from the board itself worked as well.

Awesome man! Good to hear nothing was fried. I wonder what caused it to be laggy at first. I've never seen that sort of behavior before, usually it either works or locks up.

I have no idea, It sure was behaving strange though. I'm with you, it should either work or not work, not sure how it got where it appears to work, although extrememly slowly, but not really work, I could change temp settings, brightness, etc. pretty much every setting that can be changed from the board itself I could change, but there was about a 5 second delay I had to wait between button pushes before it would register that I pushed it, none of the probes worked, and of course there was no communication with the Rpi so I could not change anything HM related via the web interface. It acted the exact same way once I rebuilt it until I reflashed the hex file, which wouldn't work on the first board, I was overjoyed that it worked on the second one, and once it was done flashing everything worked perfectly, including inputs from the board itself, no more delay at all!! LOL

Lesson learned - be careful soldering on the resonator, even being careful, quick and conservative I noticed that a lot of solder flowed through the board and down the leads, balling up sort of, once it hit the resonator itself. The legs are pretty close together, if I would have kept feeding it solder I don't doubt that it probably could have bridged again.

I've pushed a few minor updates in a new rPi firmware snapshot image http://capnbry.net/linkmeter/snapshots/bcm2708/

This contains a few minor fixes to the configuration page, forces a configuration refresh when 'Reboot AVR' is used, and speeds web page load times by about 10-15%. It also includes the 20121224 firmware which lights up the other two LEDs for fan on / lid mode (hey better than nothing, right?).

There's no sysupgrade procedure for the rPi target so the easiest way to upgrade is to make a backup of your configuration (System -> Backup), flash the new image, and restore the configuration.

Bryan,
I would like to know if the resonator need any particular alignment when installed.
Do you have a Pin by Pin hook up schematic between the Pi and hm v4 board. trying to make up a custom ribbon cable

Nope the resonator goes either way. The schematic for the connection between the rPi and the HeaterMeter is, surprisingly, in the schematic. It is the big connector on the middle bottom. Don't trust the pin numbering though because I believe it is mirrored on account of it being mounted upside down. Just match up the signal names. The HeaterMeter board also has silkscreen printing on it to label (almost) all of the pins.

Figured out the mirrored problem, I had to put the pin header on the other side of board for standard cable to work. booted up for first time.

Thanks for the great project, took awhile to get all the parts but it is coming together now.

Back