HeaterMeter v4.0 for RaspberyPi / Standalone

@Kelly_S: I live in Richardson and will be in Lewisville tomorrow (12/8) with some free time on my hands late morning. If you want to see this let me know and we'll meet up.

@Eric Thomas, I'll pm you my info in case I get a chance to break free tomorrow and meet up with you. I'd love a chance to take a peak at a working HM before I start my build.

Great thread, thanks for all the info I already have a pi and can't wait to get started. I ordered everything except for the fan. One question how is the fan powered? And the hm controls speed? Because right now I have a little party q for my 18.5 wsm and bumping to a 10 cfm fan seems like a lot. Thanks again

The fan gets its power from the blower output of the HeaterMeter, which is roughly a 12V PWM signal. Any 12VDC fan can be used as long as the current draw isn't too high. The fan in the parts list is only a 6.7CFM blower, which is the same as the Party Q. If you use a 10CFM fan you can always go into the config and set the max fan speed to something less than 100% which would give you effectively a smaller blower.

The fan gets its power from the blower output of the HeaterMeter, which is roughly a 12V PWM signal. Any 12VDC fan can be used as long as the current draw isn't too high. The fan in the parts list is only a 6.7CFM blower, which is the same as the Party Q. If you use a 10CFM fan you can always go into the config and set the max fan speed to something less than 100% which would give you effectively a smaller blower.

Great thanks

I don't know why I thought the fan was bigger. So the recommended micro USB power for the pi is enough for the fan, boards and WiFi dongle?

What is the recommendation for power?

Cant wait. I think I am just going to mount it in a little Tupperware with a small powerstrip inside so I can seal everything from the elements.

Right now I have a maverick and a party q they work great but can't wait to have just one unit battery free for winter smoking and monitoring 2 or more meats at a time

I don't know why I thought the fan was bigger. So the recommended micro USB power for the pi is enough for the fan, boards and WiFi dongle?

What is the recommendation for power?
For testing purposes you can power the rPi, WiFi, and HeaterMeter all from the 5V USB jack on the Pi (assuming your power adapter can put out enough current for the Pi). In "production" use, you'll need to use a 12V power adapter plugged into the barrel jack on the HeaterMeter. The 12V is stepped down to power the Pi, WiFi, and HeaterMeter as well as powering the fan.

For testing purposes you can power the rPi, WiFi, and HeaterMeter all from the 5V USB jack on the Pi (assuming your power adapter can put out enough current for the Pi). In "production" use, you'll need to use a 12V power adapter plugged into the barrel jack on the HeaterMeter. The 12V is stepped down to power the Pi, WiFi, and HeaterMeter as well as powering the fan.

Aha got it. You've thought of everything. Thanks again.

Is it possible to hook up two HM 4.0 boards to one Pi unit and somehow interface between the two of them to control two units at once? I've got one up and running, but wouldn't mind having a way to control two smokers down the road...

No there's just the one UART on the Raspberry Pi so there's only one device connected at a time. Even if there were multiple, the code and website would require a massive amount of rejiggering to support data coming and going to two devices.

I am having trouble getting my HM-Pi 4.0 online with the wifi adapter. I can see the device on my network through my router but am unable to ping the static IP address or connect to the device when only on wifi. Can anyone shed any light on what I may be doing wrong?

I am having trouble getting my HM-Pi 4.0 online with the wifi adapter. I can see the device on my network through my router but am unable to ping the static IP address or connect to the device when only on wifi. Can anyone shed any light on what I may be doing wrong?
Do you have both the Pi's ethernet and wifi on your network at the same time, or rather both assigned an address on your network at the same time? Like I had both the wired and wifi set to DHCP and they both got an address but I can't ping either of them. Unplug the wired and reboot and it works fine. I assume something similar is happening on your configuration.

Do you have both the Pi's ethernet and wifi on your network at the same time, or rather both assigned an address on your network at the same time? Like I had both the wired and wifi set to DHCP and they both got an address but I can't ping either of them. Unplug the wired and reboot and it works fine. I assume something similar is happening on your configuration.

This doesn't seem to be the problem. I can see the wifi device attempt to connect to my network on my router but for some reason there is never an IP address assigned to the Pi. When I am hardwired to the Pi I can ping the device and access the interface.

Not sure what went wrong, but I decided to start from scratch and reload the image on the SD Card. Once everything was back to the original setup I began to reconfigure the network settings. I now have everything up and running and it works perfectly on the wifi and hardwired.

Anyone still waiting on their PCB? I ordered on 11/6 and still haven't received it yet. I noticed on twitter laen mentioned an issue with the Nov 13 panel, which could be the panel I was on, but that was back on Nov 29, and haven't heard anything since. If anyone has a spare they want to sell let me know, I'd like to get this started.

Anyone still waiting on their PCB? I ordered on 11/6 and still haven't received it yet. I noticed on twitter laen mentioned an issue with the Nov 13 panel, which could be the panel I was on, but that was back on Nov 29, and haven't heard anything since. If anyone has a spare they want to sell let me know, I'd like to get this started.

I ordered my PCB on 11/26 and am still waiting. Hopefully they'll crank out another stack of them soon.

I just finished my HeaterMeter 4.0 on Tuesday night and it's working great. I can count on one hand the number of times i'd used a soldering iron before this project, so I was pretty surprised that everything worked on the first go. I even held off on ordering the probes/power supply since I was afraid i'd get in over my head and throw in the towel. Thanks for such a great project and excellent instructions! I'm anxious for the probes to arrive and to fire this up in a real-world test.

Besides a screen shot, is there anyway that a graph from a cook can be saved? I've tried saves using IE, Chrome, and Firefox; and while Chrome and Firefox come a little closer, none work.

I too want a way to easily save the graphs to an image file without having to do a screenshot. The issue is that Flot 0.7 (the javascript graphing library) uses text outside the canvas for all the labels. This means the graph has no labels when converted to an image. Someone has fixed this in the 0.8, which just got labeled as alpha. I would have switched to it earlier but 0.8 broke date/time custom formats which we use and I was waiting for that to be fixed. I'm not sure what their release plans are though, so I can't say when it will be in the LinkMeter package.

I just save the data and graph it in Excel. Not as pretty, but functional. I'm more about the data points, though so this is better than a picture.

dave

Besides a screen shot, is there anyway that a graph from a cook can be saved? I've tried saves using IE, Chrome, and Firefox; and while Chrome and Firefox come a little closer, none work.

Back