HeaterMeter v4.0 for RaspberyPi / Standalone

One other problem has cropped up though. I also upgraded my openwrt firmware to the latest version. When I did this I couldn't get the wireless to work. On the old version I just had to go to Networks - Wifi - Enable the wireless controller and it would automatically see my wireless router. Then I just to enter my password and was done. With the new version I enable the wireless but it never "sees" my router or any other wifi signals. Switching to the older firmware takes care of this.

What does the newer firmware "fix" and any suggestions on how to get the new firmware working with wireless?
Thanks for bringing this up. There's a regression in that firmware that causes it to not be able to do a scan any more. This will be fixed in the next snapshot I'll have out probably later today. I can't remember what the latest fix fixes, oh yeah the bug in luci that prevented alarm scripts from working.

Bryan:

Thanks for the update. I'm almost ready for my Thanksgiving cook.

Getting the wireless enabled is still a little bumpy. I still wasn't able to get the wireless going just by enabling it. After playing around with it a bit and manually entering the SSID, changing to Client mode, and manually changing the channel I did get the wireless enabled though. Edit: Looks like an IP address wasn't assigned though. This should be set to Client mode, correct? Anway, for me it's still not working like the September snapshot did.

Edit: I got the HeaterMeter to go beep beep using the alarm section. Very cool. I still have to get the messaging setup though.

Last edited:
You're right about the Wireless and the web interface being a little wonky. I couldn't sleep this morning so I got up at 5am and A) somehow completely broke an SD card while writing the new image B) see some of the problems you described. I'll have to dig into what's going wrong.

I've just built a new image. I haven't tested it on a new SD card yet but I think the wireless scan should be working again, as well as fixes all the errors I could find where the luci was reporting "Invalid argument to loadstring".

Also some other things:
-- makes the home screen graph tooltip behave a lot better on Chrome and Firefox and a little better on IE and Opera
-- adds a "Save" button the the config page, because I know that caused a lot of confusion
-- increase web session timeout to 24 hours (from 1 hour)

I've just built a new image. I haven't tested it on a new SD card yet but I think the wireless scan should be working again, as well as fixes all the errors I could find where the luci was reporting "Invalid argument to loadstring".

Also some other things:
-- makes the home screen graph tooltip behave a lot better on Chrome and Firefox and a little better on IE and Opera
-- adds a "Save" button the the config page, because I know that caused a lot of confusion
-- increase web session timeout to 24 hours (from 1 hour)

Bryan. Tried the update and things are working much better. Enabled wireless and hit the scan and it showed me all wireless points available right away. Same with the Network - Diagnostics also. Everything works right out of the gate now. Now I just need to get things setup so that alarms are sent to my phone / email and I'll be all set. Thanks for all the work.

Alan

Thanks for reporting the bugs, Alan. I had updated to the latest code from OpenWrt (Attitude Adjustment RC1) and LuCI and the changelog was way too long for me to notice that a couple of small changes to the way things work had been made. Once Attitude Adjustment is released this shouldn't be something that happens any more because I won't be chasing their tail all the time.

If you have any issues with the alert scripts let me know in the recipes thread. I know it is a little complicated to set up and it is even more complicated behind the scenes. I haven't had a lot of time to use it on a real cook, which is where I tend to find the most bugs, so your insight will be of great value.

Finally got the rest of my parts from Mouser, lesson learned if there are back order parts, they will hit you for about $9 for $1 worth of parts+shipping if you picked USPS for the initial order :).

Bill

How long has it taken every one to receive their boards from OshPark. I ordered from the store on 11/4 and they still haven't shipped.

Mine took a couple of weeks. Longer than I was expecting. This was emailed to me a few days before it shipped.

I just wanted to give you an update on the manufacturing and shipping of your order.

As you might know, OSHPark is a primarily a community PCB prototyping service. I batch up orders from lots of people onto panels, send them off to be manufactured, then ship them when they come back. Typically this takes about a week.

There was kind of a rush on three boards in particular (the Pi Crust, the HoloProjector, and HeaterMeter boards), and this has caused a bit of a backlog, and the PCB orders have been split across five panels. The first of these will be back Monday, November 5th, with the remainder arriving about every 3 days until November 15th. By then, I should be completely caught up with orders, with extras to spare.

I'll get these out as quickly as possible. Sorry it's taking so long!

Thanks. I'm just a little anxious thought I would have everything for the holiday weekend. Oh Well.

Me too, I ordered on 11/6, still havent heard anything about it shipping yet. Never would have expected I would get my RaspberryPi faster than the HM board. My Pi is expected to ship tomorrow.

I was really hoping to get a HeaterMeter v4.0 build in time to smoke turkeys for Thanksgiving, but that has failed. I ordered a HM board on 10/28 and today got a response for Laen saying that it will probably ship on Monday 11/26. Doh!

I am really excited in any case to get my HM up and running. I was lurking here a year ago and and got distracted by life and then saw some blog posting about the HM 4.0 & RPi. I figured it must be time to build my HM especially since I already had a RPi and no plans to do anything specific with it. Now it has a destiny. Mouser order has been here for 2 weeks. Digikey order has been here for 2 weeks. But no PCB :-(

I'm really sorry to hear all the stories of shipping delays from the OSHPark store. That place has run like clockwork for me for getting the many prototypes I've used to create all the different HeaterMeter revisions I've made. It's great that Laen has so many designs that are so popular and it just goes to show how many people are interested in building cool things.

For those waiting for a board, there's some good news in all of this. For one, apparently the project is so popular we created a backlog in the supply chain. That's good because it means a lot of new people using HeaterMeter and that comes with new ideas which I can steal and roll into everyone's software. The second is that the software is also advancing even as you wait. If you had gotten a board a week ago, the wifi scan would have been broken! Luckily thanks to Bill, that's one less issue you'll have to scratch your head on.

So it is unfortunate that there have been delays in getting PCBs out, but Laen is awesome and he's really helped the project along. Just know that he's working hard to take care of you guys and HeaterMeter will be even better by the time you get your hardware.

I'm really sorry to hear all the stories of shipping delays from the OSHPark store. That place has run like clockwork for me for getting the many prototypes I've used to create all the different HeaterMeter revisions I've made. It's great that Laen has so many designs that are so popular and it just goes to show how many people are interested in building cool things.

For those waiting for a board, there's some good news in all of this. For one, apparently the project is so popular we created a backlog in the supply chain. That's good because it means a lot of new people using HeaterMeter and that comes with new ideas which I can steal and roll into everyone's software. The second is that the software is also advancing even as you wait. If you had gotten a board a week ago, the wifi scan would have been broken! Luckily thanks to Bill, that's one less issue you'll have to scratch your head on.

So it is unfortunate that there have been delays in getting PCBs out, but Laen is awesome and he's really helped the project along. Just know that he's working hard to take care of you guys and HeaterMeter will be even better by the time you get your hardware.

Bryan thanks for all you do. I hope I didn't come across as complaining our griping. Just a little bummed.

I have also heard many many good things about OSHPark and Laen, so he will get the benefit of the doubt this time. I will wait to praise Bryan until I have a working HM :) Well maybe not. Thanks for leading this project. HM is almost exactly what I have been wanting and I would likely have never gotten around to building it myself, and it definitely wouldn't be as full featured.

I contacted Laen about the boards on 11/21, and he said that the fab would be finished on Friday 11/23 and they would be ready to ship on 11/26.

If you try to order one as a custom job, it shows the next 2-layer prototype panel run as being on 11/29. I don't know what that necessarily means, but I would imagine that the backorder boards would at least be done by then.

I ordered on Nov 7 and my Pi just arrived ... hopefully the PCB will follow soon. Thanks for sharing any updated info from Laen if you receive it. I had been looking for a Arduino and Raspberry Pi project for a while. So, building this to smoke meat will be the full trifecta.

I'm another one looking forward to building this project. My thanks in advance to Bryan, great job! Ordered the board and components on 11/3 and the components are here, just waiting on the PCB. In the meantime since the RPI was bored doing nothing, I loaded XBMC to it.

I'm thinking this is pretty cool that we are getting so many more people interested in building a rPiHM

Bryan, we need a cool name for it :)

dave

My PCB shipped (11/28) and I ordered it on 10/29. Hopefully that helps give a timeline for anyone still waiting on a board. They ship from Portland, OR if anyone is curious.

Last edited:

Back