Heat shield?

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Heat shields were added to the WSM for the 2009 model year when the 22.5" version was introduced and the 18.5" version was upgraded. Prior to that, there were none. It's always been a curious addition because to the best of my knowledge customers were not asking for this feature and cookers weren't setting fire to or even scorching the area below the cooker. I've always assumed it was a Euro safety requirement added to the smoker.

BTW, in the 14.5" WSM the heat shield is inside the cooker, placed in the bottom of the charcoal bowl.

I'm told the heat shield can be wrapped with aluminum foil and used as a replacement heat diffuser for waterless cooking in the 18.5" WSM.

I bought my WSM 18" Classic new in the year 2008 which has no heat shield. So to protect the car port I bought a large rectangular metal Oil sheet Pan which catches the charcoal ash drippings and place to put the lid during the cook.

LarryL

If you have the WSM on a oil drip pan can you remove the heat shield? I’m looking to create a little more room for ash in my wsm14

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
If you have the WSM on a oil drip pan can you remove the heat shield? I’m looking to create a little more room for ash in my wsm14
Yeah, this problem is unique to the 14.5" WSM, given that the heat shield lives inside the bottom of the charcoal bowl. Yes, you can remove the heat shield if the WSM is sitting on a fireproof surface. Or you can do this mod and move it outside the cooker like on the other two WSMs.