Hatch Green Chiles 2023 Are In!

Erik Tracy

TVWBB Pro
Here in San Diego, we just got in the first batch of New Mexico Hatch Green Chiles at my local Vons!

I hand picked 10 from the bin

Green-Chiles-8-4-23-1.jpg

Roasted up on the grill - and enjoyed with my last can of Las Cumbres Elevated IPA from New Mexico
Green-Chiles-8-6-23-2.jpg

Peeled, diced, and ready for eating. This year's 'vintage' is a very nice medium hot with a lingering warmth and tasty green chile flavor!
Green-Chiles-8-6-23-3.jpg

Get 'em while you can!

I always see those in the store but never pull the trigger on them, do you eat them just like that or is there other delicious plans with them?

I always see those in the store but never pull the trigger on them, do you eat them just like that or is there other delicious plans with them?
It's a personal preference taste sort of thing, but I like roasted diced green chile on scrambled eggs, a small topping on a garden salad. My favorite is a generous smearing on the top bun of a green chile cheese burger.

I freeze unused portions for the cooler times of the season to add to stews, or mix in with pico de gallo for tacos/burritos.

I usually buy them at my local grocer who roasts them in a large tumble basket, this year I may be buying them raw & using my new rotisserie basket to char them....
I used to visit my folks in Santa Fe and would just sit in the car with the windows downs at the market to take in the heavenly aroma of the outside chile roasters.

But doing them at home, my kitchen had that same delicious aroma!

Back