Has this Silly Question been asked before?

PeteH

TVWBB Super Fan
When grilling indirect - or smoking - on the kettle, I usually bank the coals on one side and put meat on the other. Is it better to place the lid vent over the fire source or over the meat? Does it make a difference?

I usually put the vent over the heat source to get a nice, clean vent. Am I losing smoke flavor by not dragging it past the meat? Or am I being inefficient with the fuel source? Or does it make any difference at all?

I usually think about this for about a nano-second when I am putting the lid on after placing the meat. What do you all do?

Pete

Since I want the meat directly in the circulation between the coals and the vent, mine goes over the meat. I just read that somewhere and it made sense to me. However , I've never tested to see what the difference is.

I also put the top vent over the meat to drag smoke over it on the way out. I cover the empty part of the charcoal grate with heavy duty alum foil (most of the time).

I have noticed that when cooking pizza it's definitely hotter where the vent is. That part gets brown faster so I rotate the stone.

I'm pretty sure that's the way Weber describes to do it for indirect on a kettle.
Than a few years ago they came up with that OTP or (something like it), that had the lid vent top dead center.

Tim

bank them coals on one side, set the meat down on the other side. put lid on, vent over the meat. hang lid on left w left hand.

or for me its: bank coals on the left, take a drank of beer. put meat on the right, take a drank of beer. vent over the meat... drank a swallow of beer - you get the picture... hehehh.

don't lift the lid...

Over the meat for me also...unless I think fire isn't hot enough then I put vent over fire.

I have no clue if that even does anything though.

Now what the hell kind of a silly que.......!! (just kidding) ;)

[[crawling away quickly.....]]

ya, vent on opposite side of the coals. smoke swirl. one reason Weber put the WSM top vent down from center top of the lid

Back