Has anyone tried high temp paint for scratches or chips?

Brian-TX

Got a great deal on a WSM 22" in very good condition - $150. Only issue was the cover had been dropped on the outer side. Where the top handle hit the ground it caused a 3 inch dent/dimple and fractured the enamel paint. An auto body shop kindly popped the dent out for me and the dent is gone! Now... is there anything I can do to help correct the damaged enamel? I've looked at high temp grill paints at Home Depot and seen Sheffield high temp appliance enamel paint online. Appreciate any suggestions or experiences!

Attachments

• WSM cover.jpeg
    WSM cover.jpeg
    136.1 KB · Views: 37
I would consider something like this wood stove enamel touch up paint:

I would consider something like this wood stove enamel touch up paint:

I'll check it out - thanks. Have you tried it by any chance?

Got a great deal on a WSM 22" in very good condition - $150. Only issue was the cover had been dropped on the outer side. Where the top handle hit the ground it caused a 3 inch dent/dimple and fractured the enamel paint. An auto body shop kindly popped the dent out for me and the dent is gone! Now... is there anything I can do to help correct the damaged enamel? I've looked at high temp grill paints at Home Depot and seen Sheffield high temp appliance enamel paint online. Appreciate any suggestions or experiences.
Well, I had ordered this high temp porcelain touch up paint by Sheffield a while back and finally decided to pull the trigger. Overall it looks way better than it did and I think the color and shine were a good match. A rep from Weber had replied to me saying the "only solution" was to replace the whole lid for $150+. "For now" it looks better. Before and after pics below. Anyone selling a used 22" lid?

Attachments

• 20230115_174107.jpeg
    20230115_174107.jpeg
    113.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 20230125_095409.jpeg
    20230125_095409.jpeg
    187.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 20230125_095506.jpeg
    20230125_095506.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 20230125_105839.jpeg
    20230125_105839.jpeg
    146.1 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Well, I had ordered this high temp porcelain touch up paint by Sheffield a while back and finally decided to pull the trigger. Overall it looks way better than it did and I think the color and shine were a good match. A rep from Weber had replied to me saying the "only solution" was to replace the whole lid for $150+. "For now" it looks better. Before and after pics below. Anyone selling a used 22" lid?
Definitely looks better

Just want to go on record: Chips, Scratches, Dents are badges of honor. That is all
Agree. Nothing I see will affect the functionality of that WSM. Just keep it coated so it doesn’t rust. It will last a good long time. And, who knows, maybe you will come across a lid some day.

Is it registered? I had a small scratch on my kettle lid. I called weber and they sent me a new one for free. If your lid is still under warranty you can always try.

Not bad looking, I’d probably have let it go but, that’s me, then I’d have gone on a tear and done something rash like spend the coin on a new lid!

Back