Happy WSM Smoke Day!

Oh, man! Thanks for the reminder, Chris. I've been really busy trying to finish our "settling in" process and getting my workshop set up so I can actually use it. (Yesterday, YES!) I discovered this week that my smoker was a mess internally. (Suggestion, don't seal up your smoker for a move and then leave it for a few months before opening it up -- you may not like the result!) We're getting rained out here, I haven't gotten to the cleanup-the-smoker part of the "settling in" and we appear to be doomed for rain all weekend here in NC. The rain won't stop me, but overdue projects in my shop beckon and I may end up celebrating Smoke Day tomorrow or Memorial Day using my grill to generate at least a good smoke flavor. I'll let you know...
Edit: Ok, a brief pitstop break and I've decided my Smoke Day offering will be ribs! Easy to do on the grill, will take the smoke well, and maybe I'll get to try one of @Joan 's rib sauces. :p

Last edited:
The set up:
Just lit the smoker, kettles will follow, shortly.
That is one great setup! If you weren't way up there in Michigan, I'd be there to get some tips -- and maybe dig into the results, heh?

You've incited a great idea! We have very little space, but that doesn't mean I can't make my part (grill/smoker) mine. My wife has been dithering over finding a green umbrella. I just want cover for me and accessories. Thanks to you, problem solved! There will be an offset umbrella on the way before days end. (If nothing else, I'm decisive.) See new pics of our remodel back yard.

@DarinD Low or high heat, it's looking fantastic!

Attachments

• 20230525_175635.jpg
    20230525_175635.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 20230525_175600.jpg
    20230525_175600.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 24
That is one great setup! If you weren't way up there in Michigan, I'd be there to get some tips -- and maybe dig into the results, heh?

You've incited a great idea! We have very little space, but that doesn't mean I can't make my part (grill/smoker) mine. My wife has been dithering over finding a green umbrella. I just want cover for me and accessories. Thanks to you, problem solved! There will be an offset umbrella on the way before days end. (If nothing else, I'm decisive.) See new pics of our remodel back yard.

@DarinD Low or high heat, it's looking fantastic!
Thank you Rich! I went medium height heat, just over 300 degrees

OK, my smoke day contribution will be a single burger with Worchestershire, a whole egg and about a 1/4 cup of sharp cheddar on my grill in the rain with lots of maple smoke. The rest of the one pound of ground chuck will be added to a spaghetti sauce in the very near future. Why the whole egg? Because I always add an egg to my pound of chuck and eggs are hard to split... I thought about scrambling part and putting it on the burger, but what would be the real difference?

Back