Hanging Ribs

Andy Erickson

TVWBB Pro
Hung some ribs for the first time yesterday. Put a full mini weber chimney of lit coals on top of unlit coals. The ribs only took about 2 1/2 hours and I had trouble keeping the lid thermo under 290. The bottom vents were barely cracked. Will do a better job of catching the temps on the way up next time. Ribs turned out great though. They really do cook evenly from top to bottom. Great way to cook ribs and expand on the capacity of the cooker.

IMG_27541_zpss8hpvl9x.jpg

IMG_27571_zps74s7xlrn.jpg

IMG_27591_zpseu9fqyr3.jpg

IMG_27601_zpshpwjhi91.jpg

Nice. The bark looks amazing.

fwiw - you might consider using the bottom rack when hanging ribs in case the cook goes caveman.
Ask me how I know.

Nice job on those ribs. And very brave of you to hang them over the coals without a safety net.

If I were you, I would not worry about chasing temperatures. Those ribs look perfect, so why mess with success?

Man those ribs look great! Like the others have said, the bark is picture perfect!
Great Job!
Tim

Great looking ribs Andy. Just got the hanger last week and am ordering the hooks today. I have only done ribs on the top grill of my WSM22 so this will be a new experience. This brings up the question of, do you leave the ribs on the hooks for the entire cook instead of wrapping? Thanks.

Great looking ribs Andy. Just got the hanger last week and am ordering the hooks today. I have only done ribs on the top grill of my WSM22 so this will be a new experience. This brings up the question of, do you leave the ribs on the hooks for the entire cook instead of wrapping? Thanks.

I did. Started checking on them when I thought they could be done with the bend test. I don't usually wrap my ribs though.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice. The bark looks amazing.

fwiw - you might consider using the bottom rack when hanging ribs in case the cook goes caveman.
Ask me how I know.

Yeah, I meant to do that, but then forgot. Will do that next time for sure.

That looks like an awesome rack of ribs! I haven't yet used my newly-purchased hanger in my WSM but I do also own the PBC. By luck I suppose, I haven't yet lost any meat and on some cuts I will daisy chain two hooks. But that will be a moot point if there is room to add the lower grate on the WSM.

Andy;
Great lookin' ribs! I really like ribs done in that manner. They are different than foiled ribs but I LOVE the bark. I'll be doing many of mine with my new hanger set up, too.

FWIW
Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Always wanted to this. Wasn't sure if they would cook evenly. Nice to know. How many racks do you think you could hang? I can 6 on both racks curled up. Might be nicer to cook 6 hanging

Awesome turn out with those ribs! The only way to achieve bark like that is to wrap the water pan and leave out the water or leave the water pan out all together.

Back