Guava wood arrived!!!!

Michael C.

TVWBB Gold Member
Several years while visiting Kauai, I came across a little shack called Chicken in a Barrel. It was one the BEST chicken I have ever tasted!!! It was tender, juicy, and just had an amazing perfect smoke flavor to it! Asked the guy behind the counter what kind of wood they use, he told me it was Guava wood, local to the islands. Fast forward a few days ago, I decided to pull the plug, and ordered some Guava wood! It was little pricy at $32 bucks, but they say a little goes a long way. My package arrived in the mail today! The box was heavy at 12 lbs, and they packed just about every inch of it with wood! I will use my hatchet and split some of the wood for my next cook. I can't wait to try it out this weekend! Here are the pictures :).

Chicken in a Barrel sign.

Their smokers, it sure smelled great!!!!

Great tasty chicken!!!!

Box was heavy!

Lots of wood chunks in here!

Guava wood.

Here are a few web site links.

http://www.hawaiiguava.com

http://chickeninabarrel.com/index.html

Have you used this wood before? Your thoughts?

Last edited:
I think I've been there (Chicken in a barrel) but it was quite a while ago. Looking forward to your Guava wood cooks Michael

Nice! I've ordered from them as well, and they packed my box full of quality pieces and shipped quick. The result of a few smokes so far have been great, fruity but not overpowering. Be careful splitting it though, that wood is hard! Enjoy, and don't forget to share your cooks with it!

Man, I love guava (the fruit/juice, that is). Thinking of poultry cooked over guava wood is making me drool.

Barb and I spent a lot of time in Hawaii, mostly on Maui. They have some wonderful flavor profiles with their BBQ. Don't know if I've ever had something smoked with guava wood or not, might order some as I do marinate with guava juice quite often. Be interested in seeing your cooks and thanks for sharing.

Chicken in a Barrel is great! Now that you've ordered the guava, do yourself a favor and order some Kiawe (Key Ah Vee) too. It is in my opinion one of the finest smoking woods around. Really good when mixed with cherry.

When I lived in Hawaii we used Kiawe for cooking all the time. It's all over the Big Island. I have a friend that mails me 4" rounds in the large flat rate boxes. I'll be using it tonight in the minitisserie. Smoking up some Char Sui pork.

Thanks everybody!!!! Love all the kind comments! I have a turkey breast thawing out in the fridge as we speak. So looking forward in trying out this wood this weekend! I will of course post pictures :).

Back