GrillGrates Again...

Joe -- based on the research I did when looking at the GGs (a deep dive like I said), some of the lower end Charbroils have a one piece grate that is rails + emitter/diffuser plate (like the GG design). Higher end TRU-Infrareds have an emitter/diffuser base plate and then a normal cast iron cook grate that goes above and which holds the foods.

Never used one of the Char-broils, but the claims are similar to the GGs claims -- more even heat, less flare-ups, and increased IR radiation. Makes sense, since the overall concept of the two systems are basically identical.

And the need/value of adding extra IR radiation to a mostly convection gas grill has been very widely adopted in high end gas grills for quite some time. You and Larry get your extra IR from a sear burner. I'm trying to get the same thing the poor man's way by adding the GGs.

Meathead's explanation of the IR component is what finally got me to spring for the GGs. And Larry should check out the last line. : )

What’s all the fuss over infrared?

In the past few years a number of gas grills have been touting their superiority because they use “infrared” cooking. Well, if you took high school science, you might remember that infrared is simply another section of the wavelength continuum around us, just up the road from visible light and down the road from the radio in the car next to you.

Infrared grills use a special surface above the flame that absorbs the heat and radiates it to the food. These IR surfaces can be a plate of special glass, ceramics, or metal. Usually when a manufacturer says its grill has a “sear burner”, it is referring to a section of the grate that has a burner with a radiant plate to amplify heat.

The advantage of infrared heat is that it is more efficient than convection, it gets hotter than convection, often in the 500 to 700°F range, there is less dry air motion, which means less moisture evaporates from the food. Them’s steakhouse temps, pahdna. Also, the radiant surface is usually very close to the food so dripping juices or marinades incinerate and go right back up into the meat, adding flavor without flareups.

Worth it? Yup. Especially if you want good browning. And you do, because browning creates flavor.

If your grill doesn’t have infrared, you can add it with GrillGrates, a great product that replaces the manufacturer’s grates or sits on top of them and does the job wonderfully. Click the link for my explanation of how they work. Another option is to get a charcoal grill on the side for searing. Or use a griddle or frying pan with a thin coat of oil. Get it scorching hot, either indoors or on the side burner or on the grates. Add a light coat of oil, and sear the meat in the griddle or pan. No, it is not cheating, it is great technique.

BTW my "cheat" with catfish filets changed plans. Instead a beautiful piece of Tuna loin and some whole langostino went on my Wolf. Sadly having never cooked langostino (or anything like them whole) I thought the shells were supposed to turn "red" as with lobster, shrimp, crab, etc. These did not and I ended up over cooking them BUT the meat in those tails was still DELISH like the best lobster ever eaten only small. Served with drawn butter and lemon. Even wifey who is a Minnesotan and her version of excited is "not too bad" declared them delicious and wanting me to do them again.
The tuna was also wonderful. Very simple. A very quick dressing of some high end Japanese soy sauce (forget the brand sorry), plus a touch of olive oil just to dress the meat for the heat. Simply seared for a nice outside crust with almost raw insides (though here too I went just SLIGHTLY over my goal), but still outstanding. The leftover tuna will become a salad Nicoise.
Accompanied by my special mushroom medley (trumpet mushrooms with Shiitake) sautéed with EVOO, some garlic S&P, finished with some Kerrygold butter and a touch of vermouth.
And REAL grilling :D

20210906_181004.jpg

Larry,
I always enjoy your grilling and techniques even if we don’t agree that GrillGrates can be one more option in the arsenal.

And REAL grilling

Interesting. I would have thought your IR sear burner would have come in handy for that yummy tuna...

: )
What IR sear burner? The Wolf puts out such volcanic heat no dedicated searing burner is needed. The IR burner is the rotisserie burner. But when a grill puts out such intense heat it will literally burn the hair off your arms from an arms length away no need for anything else

Larry -- my bad. I knew you had a sear burner on the Wolf; did not know it was restricted to roti. And pizza, right?

FWIW, here's a nice explanation of the whole IR grill concept.

GGs are an add-on that is basically a variation of an emitter IR system.

And check out the 100% IR system on the Tec grills. Gas burners are completely sealed off by (basically) a glass cooktop. So no airflow or convection at all from the burners up to the grate. Burners heat up the glass from below. Glass radiates IR up to the cooking grate. Glass also acts as one big flav bar.

So no exposure to any open flame. But still "grilling" if your definition is cooking on a grate above a heat source.

While the GG alone discussion may not be all that riveting, I find the analysis of the various cooking methods pretty interesting and useful to know about when using different cookers and methods.

I had one of those TEC grills for a while and used it several times before flipping it. It was interesting, but I didn’t see the big deal. I enjoyed cooking more with my Genesis Silver B, a smoker box, and GrillGrates. It is true, though, that it generated quite a lot of heat. Any drippings that fell on that special glass just vaporized!

Yeah they had a huge issue with the glass breaking. I cooked on one (not the Tec) there is another brand much higher end. In the end it left me kind of MEH

The ONLY thing that I don't like about GrillGrates on my 20+ year old Genesis Silver B is that I get a lot of charged remains in between the raised rails and you just can push them to the back seeing that the front-to-back design does can't leave a space for the remains to drop down. And it's a hassle to heat up the grill, scrape and then carefully raise and tilt back the hot grates to brush the remains off.

I now have a Genesis and Spirit in my gas grill collection, but I also have a CharBroil Commercial Double Header that I picked up before the gas Weber’s.

I got a crazy deal on it, it was 70% off at Lowe’s on a grill clearance. I thought it would be awesome. It cooks fine, and I have never had a single flare up, which is quite the opposite on my Weber’s. The no flare ups is really, really nice.

Some big differences are, it does take longer to heat up, and cleaning is is a huge PITA. Huge.

These grill grates to me, just seem like taking a Weber grill and adding CharBroil parts. Completely different ways of cooking from my experience.

CharBroil does seem a bit easier to cook on, but the cleaning process is awful.

Last edited:
Michael,
Your experiences echo what my Brother-in-law said about his infrared Charbroil. He felt it was a much better grill to cook on than his Weber but only when nice and clean. And he hated cleaning it, which was not a good thing when it needed to be cleaned very often!:(

It cooks fine, and I have never had a single flare up, which is quite the opposite on my Weber’s. The no flare ups is really, really nice.

These grill grates to me, just seem like taking a Weber grill and adding CharBroil parts. Completely different ways of cooking from my experience.

CharBroil does seem a bit easier to cook on, but the cleaning process is awful.

That's basically my experience. Although the GGs are not that hard to clean -- looks like they have many fewer channels than the Charbroils have. Quite easy and quick to scrape out with the provided fork-ula tool. Just the minor annoyance in dumping debris that Mitchel points out above.

ZERO flare-ups and full cook top even heat is REALLY nice.

For example, yesterday's cook was 8 BISO chicken breasts. My Silver B could not do that cook with regular grates. Cooktop is too small to fit all that food into separate direct/indirect zones. Silver B has too much un-eveness and flare-ups to cook it all direct.

With the GGs I was easily able to cook all 8 pieces in one large direct zone at 375F for about an hour. Total piece of cake -- I could have taken a nap.

If I had a new E-435 (four burners, bigger cook top, better flare suppression, extra sear burner, north/south burners for easier zoning) I'd have little use for the GGs -- maybe I'd use one panel for an ultra sear zone. But the GGs were just the ticket to keep my Silver B off Craigslist and out of the land fill. Bonus was getting the flat side (for griddling and conduction (i.e. hot metal) searing) and some IR/heat boost.

Last edited:

Back