GrillGrates Again...

What is BISO?

my guess is the inverse of boneless skinless, or Bone In Skin On

I'm pretty sure it is none of these:

AcronymDefinition
BISOBig South Fork National River and Recreation Area (US National Park Service)
BISOBoard on International Scientific Organizations (Washington, DC)
BISOBusiness Information Security Officer
BISOBinary-Input Symmetric-Output
BISOBursa Investment Support Office (Turkey)
BISOBringing Into Service Objectives (Sprint)
BISOBIstructural ISOtropic (coated fuel particle)

my guess is the inverse of boneless skinless, or Bone In Skin On

I'm pretty sure it is none of these:

AcronymDefinition
BISOBig South Fork National River and Recreation Area (US National Park Service)
BISOBoard on International Scientific Organizations (Washington, DC)
BISOBusiness Information Security Officer
BISOBinary-Input Symmetric-Output
BISOBursa Investment Support Office (Turkey)
BISOBringing Into Service Objectives (Sprint)
BISOBIstructural ISOtropic (coated fuel particle)

Thanks but I guess it really could be bone in skin "on" or "off" as off and on start with an o""

Sorry for waking up the dead. Today was the first time I used my new GrillGrates on my Genesis 435. Overall, I am very happy with today's results.

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-02 at 6.15.39 PM.jpeg

First I oiled both sides. Fired up the brill for 7-8 minutes. Placed the boned thighs and wings on the grill, lowered all burners to minimum and closed the lid for 8 minutes. Turned the thighs over and closed the lid for another 6 minutes. Took thighs our and turned wings over for another 5 minutes.

Both my wife and I found the chicken's outer texture a bit nicer than with the standard Weber SS grates or with the cast iron grates on my older G310. And my wife doesn't known anything about this versus that grate. I suppose the sizzling fat running off and burning off does its thing.

The thighs stuck a bit more than usual to the new grates versus my old seasoned grates and I found it easier to use a spatula in place of tongs to flip them.

All the food grilled consistently at same rate, from on end of the grill to the other, as advertised.

Afterward, I also grilled eggplants and roasted some hot dogs.

The sizzling runoff leads to more splatter onto the grill's front panel. However, I clean down my grill after every use. The extra minute or 2 doesn't bother me.

Looking forward to using the flip side for griddling burgers, maybe next week.

I like the GrillGrates. I can see myself never reverting back to the SS grates. Now I have to consider whether to buy a set of GG's for my Performer. Hmmm.......

As I mentioned a year ago, GrillGrates does help even things out, keeps the lower part of your grill cleaner, and, like stainless, is rustproof. After that, it really comes down to how they work for each person. I posted about a "Christmas" grill I did for a special family a few years ago. It was a 300 series Genesis with stainless rod grates. The next Christmas I bought them a set of GrillGrates to use as an "option." I don't think he ever went back to the stainless rods. That was just him, and others have different reactions. It's all good as long as you are enjoying grilling!

Darren — that exact cook is one of my favorites using ggs.

Given the extra flare up suppression, I can do a huge load of wings at one time over one big low direct zone. So my effective capacity is 2X what it would be if I had to leave part of the grill empty for a direct indirect set up.
That wouldn’t matter if I had a big six burner grill. But on a smallish Silver B, makes a big difference.

Agree that the ggs are messier. More grease stays up at the grate level than conventional grates. Which let more grease get down into the grill bottom.

Don't need no GG. When I get results like this with simple good cooking no need for magic marker lines on my food. Standard off the shelf choice grade ribeye from Sam's. S&P just before going on. Burners only MLM (F&R burners on med, center burner low). Steak had a beautiful overall crust edge, perfect rosy interior without the "bullseye" effect. Done to perfect mid rare. This is done on the Genesis not the Wolf. Did not see a reason to fire the Wolf up and making my gas meter burn out it's bearings spinning around :D20220603_192000.jpg

Please don't try this at home on your Genesis using standard grates. Because you will incinerate the wings and maybe even set the house on fire.

With standard grates, you'd have to devote a third/half of the grill top to a direct zone. Which is not good, since my house eats a LOT of wings.

With the GGs, could not be simpler. Low/med heat, all direct. Wings are crispy not burned. If you want to do this, you absolutely need GGs.

Sometimes, it actually is the arrow, not the archer.

Attachments

• IMG_0050.JPG
    IMG_0050.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Serious question, but what is a TLA and an FLA?
TLA is a Three Letter Acronym. Or a Two Letter Acronym. Or a Ten Letter Acronym.
FLA is Florida, or a Four Letter Acronym.

edit: and this was in reference to "BISO"

It took me a while to get past the "Emoji" explosion, but I am still struggling with this acronym stuff that is becoming its own language it seems.

Please don't try this at home on your Genesis using standard grates. Because you will incinerate the wings and maybe even set the house on fire.

With standard grates, you'd have to devote a third/half of the grill top to a direct zone. Which is not good, since my house eats a LOT of wings.

With the GGs, could not be simpler. Low/med heat, all direct. Wings are crispy not burned. If you want to do this, you absolutely need GGs.

Sometimes, it actually is the arrow, not the archer.
I call total BS. I have done exactly this on my Genesis and absolutely NO issues at all. Zero, zip nada. Yeah if you're starting out with a grill full of grease and really excessive heat. You will have issues. But in a maintained grill it goes just fine.

Back